Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Collision with Stock (lathe)

diegohf1

Mastercam X4 lathe has been giving me an error for the past few days that I cannot figure out. It keeps telling me that my tool is colliding with my stock—after the stock has been set up—but there is no clear indication of where the tool collides with the stock. Also, it only happens with one specific tool while doing a specific face. I've tried messing around with Tool Clearance option in Stock Setup as well as DOC, but nothing.

I have attached three pictures that include the tool Mastercam is failing with, the parameters I am using and the error I get on the geometry I am running. There are other tools I can use to program with, but we have alwas used this tool and we're trying to verify all of our parts, except this cannot be done if every time we try to regenerate we get this error.

Thank you for your time.

post-62528-0-03118300-1434974853_thumb.png

post-62528-0-47744600-1434974856_thumb.png

post-62528-0-80366100-1434974858_thumb.png

When you define a Lathe Tool in Mastercam, there is a setting for X and Z Home Position, in the Tool Definition. Mastercam will use this "Home Position" as the location for where the tool will approach from, and retract to, for a tool change.

Typically, when I have a problem with "Tool collision with stock", it is because the tool is moving from its home position to the start of the toolpath, and it clipped the stock on this approach move.

Are you using "Stock Recognition" in your toolpath? When you turn this on, Mastercam will recognize the stock boundary, and add extra approach/retract moves to reposition the tool outside of the stock.

• Like 1

I thought that was the problem at first because the tool would clip the tail of the stock so I changed the "Home Position" from "Machine Defined" to "User Defined" but that made no difference. The only way I got the toolpath to work was by continuously pressing "Yes" when Mastercam asked me if I wanted to continue even though the tool was colliding.

As for "Stock Recognition", that option is not enabled for this operation. Mastercam seems to only want to enable such option for certain tools and operations which I find extremely weird. Usually when I can use it I do because it avoids the stock completely and I have no problems whatsoever.

I have attached the two parameters I have for Home position and stock recognition.

Thank you for your help!

post-62528-0-15144400-1434979059_thumb.png

post-62528-0-70090300-1434979059_thumb.png

Mastercam X4 lathe has been giving me an error for the past few days that I cannot figure out. It keeps telling me that my tool is colliding with my stock—after the stock has been set up—but there is no clear indication of where the tool collides with the stock. Also, it only happens with one specific tool while doing a specific face. I've tried messing around with Tool Clearance option in Stock Setup as well as DOC, but nothing.

I have attached three pictures that include the tool Mastercam is failing with, the parameters I am using and the error I get on the geometry I am running. There are other tools I can use to program with, but we have alwas used this tool and we're trying to verify all of our parts, except this cannot be done if every time we try to regenerate we get this error.

Thank you for your time.

Based on what the 2nd picture shows, if that is your first cut, it is deeper than the insert can handle and you will be rubbing the holder on the material.  

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

For those with a similar but not identical problem, I was getting the error because I had two identical tools for facing then cutting OD. Faced down to X0 then there was a "collision" as the tool rose to turn the OD.  Selecting "Force tool change" on the second op cleared the error for me whilst I worked on how better to exit the facing op. 

1 minute ago, Monsieurmark said:

For those with a similar but not identical problem, I was getting the error because I had two identical tools for facing then cutting OD. Faced down to X0 then there was a "collision" as the tool rose to turn the OD.  Selecting "Force tool change" on the second op cleared the error for me whilst I worked on how better to exit the facing op. 

DId you have stock defnied?  That would likely work even better

If you look in the Machine Group Properties dialog, on the Tool Settings page, there is a Tool Clearance for approach and retract. These approach and retract values are offset from your Stock definition. You must define stock for these automatic clearance values to be used. If you don't define stock, Mastercam ignores these settings. 

• Like 1