Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 issues

johnner

I just started using X9, previously I was using X6, because X7 and X8 were unstable and very glitchy

Here’s some problems I’ve had so far:

Wire frame entities that were blanked when I did not blank them!

The plane manager lots of issues

Verify very slow and glitchy

I guess it’s back to X6

Using X9 daily.....not one of the issues you're seeing

Used X7 & X8 daily, no biggies there either

Suspect when it's version after version, it's something in your set-up

I've been using Mastercam for 25 years so I've seen my share of new releases so I'm not a newbe  and there's always issues, my post was not intended to be a rant but to bring to light some issues that maybe CNC software was not aware of (after reading some of the post I'm not the only one having problems).

I imported a solid model saved it to my local drive then checked for hidden enities which normally I don't do and everything was fine, after working with the file for awhile I checked for hidden enities again and THERE THE ARE and this has happened several times so to me that's a problem. I never use the blank / unblank  feature so I guess the software is going to make me use it weather I want to or not :)

Do you create surfaces from a Solid Model? When you do this, if the surfaces are Trimmed, there will always be "Parent surfaces" that are Blanked. Mastercam has always worked this way. The same is true if you end up with Trimmed Splines. You end up with the "Parent" spline in a blanked state.

Now that said, if you are getting normal wireframe (points, lines, arcs) that are being blanked on you, without you doing it, then that might be a real bug.

Do you have the Entity Attributes Manager active? This can cause all sorts of havoc with you file if you aren't aware that it is turned on...

• Like 1

sometimes when I upgrade to latest version of mastercam, there is some adjusting needed.

once I set it up properly I don't see any big enough issues to go back to the previous

version. I'm currently using x9, and so far it's working really well for me.

Overall it's working fine for me also, I really like the enhancement's, when the IT department loads it on my machine I tweak some things mostly the tool bar's. I was working with wire frame, lines and arcs, I always preserve my original model so I x-form translate copy entities to different levels to work with for tool paths and for some reason it will take a random line and blank it, it's happened three times, I tried to replicate the problem but I couldn't get it to do it, but I couldn't spend a lot of time on it.

I just started using X9, previously I was using X6, because X7 and X8 were unstable and very glitchy

Here’s some problems I’ve had so far:

Wire frame entities that were blanked when I did not blank them!

The plane manager lots of issues

Verify very slow and glitchy

I guess it’s back to X6

i think your on your own with these opinions because X9 has been thus far my favorite release to date. With each release I see improvements in some area so if you are seeing the problems you have described its probably time to contact your reseller to see if there is problems elsewhere, either with the computer or with the users.

Best regards,

I believe for issues in a released version you want to submit those to [email protected]  

[email protected] is for beta issues.  

And yes they will require the steps taken to reproduce the issues otherwise you will get an email asking for this.  I find its best if its possible to send them a video showing them the exact steps taken to produce the issues.

• Like 1

I agree with his issues. The thing I complain about with the WCS is if you copy a WCS you spend the entire day chasing your C/T planes because MC loves to revert them back to the original C/T from which you originally copied. But, this has been a problem from prior versions. Here are a few more headaches:

The push/pull in the "Model Prep" is great, whenever the slide rule decides to show up. When trying to push pull it does not like to allow you to grab that frigging red arrow a lot of times.

When analyzing entities,  when you click on an item it LOVES to begin the window selection box for some reason and you must escape out of it 3 times before it quits.

Can the mastercam guys PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSE put a little thought into default selections when picking entities for Christ's sakes? I am SOOOOO F'in tired of having to turn off planes or some other ridiculous default every time I want to make a selection. Really, how many times do people select an entire face to make a fillet? Most of the time it is a single edge. Or, how often do you select the edge of a solid hole to drill instead of the center? This is a no-brainer.

Please shorten the wait time to auto select the center of an entity. 1 second is REALLY too long.

95% of the time we cut with coolant. Why not make coolant on the default? And, why did you hide the coolant drop down?

Only 1 time in my life have I ever used a carbide tap. WHY IS CARBIDE THE DEFAULT MATERIAL FOR TAPS!?! 

Can you PLEASE fix the circle mill and wireframe tool paths already? The treadmill function is just sad. No individual buttons for absolute incremental?

• Like 1

Can the mastercam guys PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSE put a little thought into default selections when picking entities for Christ's sakes? I am SOOOOO F'in tired of having to turn off planes or some other ridiculous default every time I want to make a selection. Really, how many times do people select an entire face to make a fillet? Most of the time it is a single edge. Or, how often do you select the edge of a solid hole to drill instead of the center? This is a no-brainer.

This has been asked for many times, but I believe it is a huge thing to change from a SW point of view.

That said, I would really like this addressed.

• Like 1

Wow not sure were some these issues . X8 rocks from my view done all kinds of work with it, now X9 not having any of these so called issues.
I have been stuck training a customer in old X6 HATE going back to it. But I guess it also has to do with how you use it.

I would like to hear what you see as issues here (The plane manager lots of issues) I think the planes Manger is better then ever on the options and tools.

(Verify very slow and glitchy) I find it to be more stable then before.

(Wire frame entities that were blanked when I did not blank them!) this is strange. have been using for about 6 months, I would say now. have not been finding extra blanked enititys.

But these are just my thoughts. I hope you work them out.

(Verify very slow and glitchy) I find it to be more stable then before.

Overall, my experience with X9 has been good.  I have seen some of the issues but nothing like some older versions of the software.

As far as Verify - When I run Verify, I usually close it before going back to work on the file (maybe a bad habit?)  Mastercam becomes sluggish and slow to respond. Its been this way since the early beta's of X9.  If I close Mastercam and restart it the issue goes away. I haven't really spent much time poking around to see what might be going on so I'm not sure what causes it. I just upgraded my video card drivers last week and haven't had a chance to see if that fixed the problem.

I agree what what you say Reko. I am using 9. It is much better than previous versions. However, many of these bugs go back several, if not many,  versions and MC really needs to spend some time fixing what they know is broken before piling more "stuff" on top of it. The circle milling and wireframe paths are just awful and are of bobcad quality. I could, and have, written better toolpaths using Microsoft Excel.

I agree what what you say Reko. I am using 9. It is much better than previous versions. However, many of these bugs go back several, if not many,  versions and MC really needs to spend some time fixing what they know is broken before piling more "stuff" on top of it. The circle milling and wireframe paths are just awful and are of bobcad quality. I could, and have, written better toolpaths using Microsoft Excel.

Its all a ploy for the release of X10. It will be perfect. ;)

• Like 1

I bet if you put an example of a problem toolpath on here... you will get several different and better  ways to program it... that is really my point.

I'm not saying the way you are doing it isn't "buggy." I'm saying, change your paradigm and rethink your method... I bet there is a better, more bulletproof way to handle it.

For example, I almost never use "Circle Mill" anymore...if I'm roughing, I'll use 2D HS Dynamic... and for finishing... "Contour," "Helical Bore," or a HS surfacing path.

Just a thought.

• Like 4

I bet if you put an example of a problem toolpath on here... you will get several different and better  ways to program it... that is really my point.

I'm not saying the way you are doing it isn't "buggy." I'm saying, change your paradigm and rethink your method... I bet there is a better, more bulletproof way to handle it.

For example, I almost never use "Circle Mill" anymore...if I'm roughing, I'll use 2D HS Dynamic... and for finishing... "Contour," "Helical Bore," or a HS surfacing path.

Just a thought.

An example? LOL. All you have to do is try the circle paths or wireframe paths once and you see many, many flaws. They don't need their xxxx held in order to do this at MC, or do they? Here is an example, you say you never use circle mill anymore. Could that be because those paths are next to useless? Why not just fix them? If your V8 blows a spark plug, how long are you willing to run on 7 cylinders?

I use circle mill daily.

Yes, there is room for improvement, especially

if you want to rough and finish a hole in one shot.

I'd also like to see a chamfer option similar to the option in contour

that would be very useful