Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify - C-Axis cross drill

Brian Pallas

Hello,

Drilling holes around the outside of a part on a live tool lathe, so that the drill is perpendicular to the centerline of the turned part.  My clearance for rotating the C axis is .200 above the part.  

In verify mode though, it shows a straight line move from one drill clearance point to the next, which is not how it will happen in the machine.  I know the code that is output is good. The tool is above the part and the C axis indexes.  Is there a setting somewhere that controls how verify behaves with this toolpath type?

I don't wan't to have to change the program from what I want, so  that verify will not show gouges.

Thanks,

Brian

I had the same thing happen Thursday. On a Caxis cross path spot and drill. Verify would show the holder going through the part and cutting it off. Backplot and the code was good. This happens to me sometimes also. Not sure why it happens. I only mostly only use verify when I have Y axis milling paths. I'm using X9. I'm not saying this is a software issue, but lathe is so far behind the curve on a real update.

Don't do lathe work yet but I am assuming this is the same as 5 axis 3+2 work and in Mastercam the retracts and repositions are handled at the posting stage so Mastercam verify doesn't know how to get the tool from one operation to the next. Bloody hard to visualize your tool path I know, especially on complex 5 axis work when verify shows the tool starting in a collision with your part !. There is now a linking tool path for 5 axis work but just more work to be done !

When you've used systems that show you all your retracts and links etc it makes Mastercam look a bit archaic !

Maybe simulation works better with lathe than verify ?

When you drill from the OD, what your linking parameters are based off of is the geometry you select. in my picture, the distance from the geometry I selected (which is within the ID) and the OD of the part is .500. In order to clear the OD, the values have to be greater than .500. I hope this answers your question.

post-63442-0-95265800-1438782875_thumb.png

post-63442-0-30838800-1438782889_thumb.png

When you drill from the OD, what your linking parameters are based off of is the geometry you select. in my picture, the distance from the geometry I selected (which is within the ID) and the OD of the part is .500. In order to clear the OD, the values have to be greater than .500. I hope this answers your question.

ScottBro, when you verify what you posted, does it drag the drill through the stock?  I know you can clearly see the toolpath lines do not collide, but the verify will usually show an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, just checked an X6 file in X8.

Under "rotary axis control" in operation, set to C axis.

In backplot options, check "simulate rotary axis".

in backplot, it works fine and clears.

In verify, it drags through the part.

Same settings, run in X6, no gouge in backplot or verify!!