Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Wire EDM

Hello all,

My company is looking to buy a few new EDM's; as for our old Agies are quite out of date and it is time for an upgrade. We have both old Agie's and some Agie-Charmilles but I am curious to know if there is anything better than the two brands that every company already has. I've looked into Mitsubishi and they seem to have a decent line of EDM's. Also if anyone knows of Accutex EDM's I would like to hear some feedback...It was like it was almost to good to be true for the price of these machines comparable to similar machine options of other brands. I feel like they are just cheaply built machines and I can't find anything from companies that can make me believe that. Any input is better than what I have now.

All depends on what you're looking to do and what you can spend I would advise. If money were no object then Agie, if price and tolerance come into play then I would advise you start looking into how much maintenance each require and especially ease of programming.

Service is priceless, if you have local service that's a huge benefit if they are prompt and reputable.

Take your time if you can and test drive them all hands on. If not at least try to get the reps to do a webinar and go through an actual part setup and program something you need done not one of their demo programs.

Good Luck !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! We're really leaning towards the Mitsubishi route; it just appears they have a very reputable line of EDM's and service to go along with it. The Accutex EDM's are surprisingly well built for nearly half the price. We have went to there showroom and had our lead EDM operator setup on a typical job we run never using their interface  and it went rather well...We just don't know enough about them to make that a primary machine in our EDM room; they are very new to the market place and it would just be a risk.

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought a new Sodick SL400Q, it was delivered last Friday and the guy is hooking it up as we type.......... So far so good

I went to Sodick school last week and was very impressed by them compared to the Agie, the Charmilles and Mits I have run 20+ years ago.... but I hear most things have improved since then but I would not know having worked for universities the 20 years.......

Im afraid I dont understand.

Yeah me neither..........

Now that I have a Sodick...... they are the greatest thing in the world(kinda like how some people like certain polticians or kinds of cars)

And since you said your Sodick didn't make round holes..... I have to say that round holes are way over rated........

You see I was making a....... ah...... how you say it in Kintuck........ ummmmm .... A joke......... or as foggy would would say "it's a joke Son..... It's a joke"

Yeah me neither..........

Now that I have a Sodick...... they are the greatest thing in the world(kinda like how some people like certain polticians or kinds of cars)

And since you said your Sodick didn't make round holes..... I have to say that round holes are way over rated........

You see I was making a....... ah...... how you say it in Kintuck........ ummmmm .... A joke......... or as foggy would would say "it's a joke Son..... It's a joke"

Well that was an older used Sodick. What kind of work will you be doing on it?

Well that was an older used Sodick. What kind of work will you be doing on it?

Oye... who knows! I am not kidding but I was asked if it could be used to cut a Beetle in .050 sections and they were not talking about VW's.

But mostly Research projects and you just never know what they are thinking....... and Senior projects and you don't want to know what they are thinking.......

But mostly a little bit of everything....... AL, Stainless, Tool steel...... Carbon and carbide..... and lot's of stuff they make in the Materials Science dept. Cool fun stuff( I hope)

• 4 weeks later...