Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Oil groove

jas6142

Seeing if oil groove guru's have any idea on what tool to use? The print calls out 1/8" wide x 1/16" deep with a 1/16" radius. has to be cut on a 3 axis mill (only has to be close not perfect). 30 years ago when they were made they used a handmade keyseat cutter is what i was told? I figure that someone here has already done this.  File is attached.

OIL GROOVE.mcx-9

Key seat cutter would work. Do as much as you can from side with the part titled on an angle. Flip it over and do as much as you can on the other side and done.  Physically impossible looking straight on to the bore.

Good luck I would try it with a lathe tool if I could time the Milling Spindle to index with the part.

I swear I've made that exact part before.  For GE.  I don't know if you modeled that or if you got it from engineering but your groove is heavy on one side and not on the other.  Or so it appears, that may be intentional.  I assume it should be even all the way around.

I used a carbide cutter like the first one on the list on this page:

http://www.cuttingtooldepot.com/tools/Super-Tool-Inc/Carbide-Tipped/Radius-Cutters/9719/?sort=pHeader14

but I swear it was a Harvey but I can't find it on Harvey's website.

I used contour, project finish.  Plan on using a few setup pieces to get it right and then save good notes for the next run.  I had to fudge the depth to get it right.

Grease grooves are generally acceptable as long as they are there, in my experience.  Especially on the tough ones like this.  That path will widen the groove a bit at the sides but it will get you there from the top and in one setup.

Theres also a 3d contour but lead in is almost impossible to get on 3d paths (for me any way!).

I used sweep to make the groove in the solid I modeled.  It left a funny little spot on the one side but is swept all the way around.

Hope that helps.

OIL GROOVE.mcx-9

• 4 years later...
On 8/31/2015 at 10:28 PM, Reece L Gibson said:

We used to do them on the lathe... G32 with a boring bar full radius insert...

Pretty simple actually....

I can show a sample program if interested.

A bit late in the game but if this is still available, I would be interested in seeing this.