matt m

A Sodick Milling machine?

When I was at Sodick school last week they had this machine in their showroom http://www.sodick.com/products/highspeedmilling/tt1400a

Was a very cool machine, not cheap but was $200 K with all the accessories...... Has anyone seen or heard of these, or have any experience with them?

The build quality was very good and the parts they we making were impressive but I don't know much about this type of machine. They were doing some hardmilling and boy they were nice.

• Like 1

Video or it didn't happen

Yes, we had 2 HS650L's at a former company.

40K spindle, liner motor driven.

HSK-32 shrink fit holders, 6 mm recommended max dia. we ran up to 3/8.

no tapping, good for mold work.

a money maker if you have the right work.

Sodick, at one time, made the coolest injection molding machine I'd ever seen. It was tiny and used a linear motor to push a plunger. The control they had over shot size was incredible.

I just thought I would dust this topic off and see if anyone else has anything to say. My Sodick guy keeps reminding me, they still have this and would make me an amazing deal on it. I'm kind of skeerd of the thing..... being taxpayer money and all and if I got this thing I would have to keep and use it for 15 years. Any suggestions for a precision mill for fine detail .... IOL type of molds, milling .015 dia. needle stock...... but of course I work for engineering professors so I will be asked to machine 24"x12" 12" frames for badly designed drones and such. The work of a University machine shop is...... ummmmm interesting...... Actually I am looking at the TRAK LPM and think I could get by using a NSK electric spindle.

Or even a HAAS VF2..... because I don't do lot's of work I do weird work, poorly designed by a research group who had 6 month to make a working prototype and send the job to me with a week left to go before their grant is pulled because the due date has expired.... So I always get the Deer in the Headlights look when I tell they their job has a minimum of 70 hours of machining, 10 hours of Assembly and of course that is not taking into account the redesign as the laws of physics will not allow them to do what they are attempting. But I think we all get that no matter where we work.

• Like 1

If they have the same machine from your initial post, they should do better than an "amazing" deal.:blink:

And being taxpayer money, that makes it free!:lol:

• Like 1

Matt - for what you are describing, the Trak LPM would be far better IMO.

1 hour ago, matt m said:

I just thought I would dust this topic off and see if anyone else has anything to say. My Sodick guy keeps reminding me, they still have this and would make me an amazing deal on it. I'm kind of skeerd of the thing..... being taxpayer money and all and if I got this thing I would have to keep and use it for 15 years. Any suggestions for a precision mill for fine detail .... IOL type of molds, milling .015 dia. needle stock...... but of course I work for engineering professors so I will be asked to machine 24"x12" 12" frames for badly designed drones and such. The work of a University machine shop is...... ummmmm interesting...... Actually I am looking at the TRAK LPM and think I could get by using a NSK electric spindle.

Or even a HAAS VF2..... because I don't do lot's of work I do weird work, poorly designed by a research group who had 6 month to make a working prototype and send the job to me with a week left to go before their grant is pulled because the due date has expired.... So I always get the Deer in the Headlights look when I tell they their job has a minimum of 70 hours of machining, 10 hours of Assembly and of course that is not taking into account the redesign as the laws of physics will not allow them to do what they are attempting. But I think we all get that no matter where we work.

Who wants to wager on which of these three will be the most desirable machine  - in 15 years.

Yes, but it's not about resale value.

It's about how easy it is to use and how productive it is in its 15 year life...

:D

We have a few sodick mills at work. Two 5-axis machines alongside a nice 5-axis Makino. I believe one of the machines has a Siemens control, the other a Fanuc. I was told that the Sodicks we have, as currently configured, are the only ones in the US for some reason or another. They hold very close tolerances. When I get back to work on Monday I will look at the model numbers to see which machines they are specifically. I don't use them personally, I am on the diamond turning side of things but I know the guys in the mold shop that are using them have nice things to say about them. I will gather their input and pass it your way on Monday. 

• Like 1

Well, I just spoke to the programmer and he said they have no complaints with the machines. The only drawback, if you want to look at it that way, is the MMR is fairly low as you are limited to a 6mm cutter. He said the service has been great (service based out of Chicago), the accuracy is great, ease of use/programming. I misspoke earlier about the controls though. One has a siemens control, the other has a Sodick  control which he claimed was easy to use. The Fanuc control is on our Makino. The programming is done in Open Mind. I am not familiar with that software, and I cannot say how much work getting a post for the machine might be in Mastercam but overall he says it performs great for work in its design envelope. The machines we have are labeled as 650 Linear machines.

• Like 1

I was quoted a machine about 6 months ago and was intrigued by the linear motors but the max table weight scared me away.  66 lbs......... what the f do you do with that?

If you want linear motors and more table capacity, go with Roeders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

I was quoted a machine about 6 months ago and was intrigued by the linear motors but the max table weight scared me away.  66 lbs......... what the f do you do with that?

Still one pound more then a Haas is capable of....ROUR!!