Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sharing files on the network

I wanted to share this bit of info with others. 

In the past I've tried moving all the "shared" files to a network folder. This caused me much grief as so many parts of MasterCam looks to the shared folder and wires get crossed up so easily.

So what I found worked ok was using a synchronization software called ViceVersa. This was a really lean way to accomplish this with a small user base. Now I'm up to 12 different workstations and it become a huge PITA every time a new release came out. 

Now what I do is create a "shared mcamx9" folder on the server with all the files I want. Install X9 and let it build the shared folder. Close MCX and delete the public documents folder. Then Create a .txt file with the following:

mklink /d "C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx9" "K:\Sync Files\MASTERCAM X9\shared mcamx9"

Replace the second link with the link to your server. Save it as .txt and then Right click on the file and say run as admin.

This will create a folder called "shared mcamx9"  in your public documents and have an arrow on the icon. This is not a shortcut but a link. Windows/MCX sees this folder as if it's on your hard drive. Now when you edit a file in that folder then everyone else will see the edit live.

Hope this helps.

-Josh

Josh I was shown something by a customer I really liked. In the shared CNC Machines Folder I have created folders for each machine. I have been putting the machine and control def in the machine folder for the machine. The post and the holder library. Take the tools from what every library you like inch or big inch and copy those tools into that holder library. Now make sure all of your machine and control defition folders point here. Now every time you open the machine you have everything for the machine in one central shared place for everyone. Everyone would work from the same set of information and when you update you pick one place and done. No hunting through all the difference machines look for one folder and done. I can send you a screen shot of what I have done if that will help.