Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nvidia Driver for Mobile Workstation

dfedwards

Hi All!

I recently got a new laptop, and HP Zbook 15 G2 configuration as follows:

i7=4910MQ CPU 8mb L3 Cache

32GB DDR3 RAM (G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GRSL)

Nvidia Quadro K2100m (2GB)

512GB SanDisk SSD

Blu-Ray Writer

3D Connexion Space Pilot Pro and SpaceMouse Wireless for travel

Mastercam X8 & X9

NX 9

Solidworks 2015

Catia V5 R21

I replaced my elitebook 8760w that had the Nvidia Quadro 4000m to try to lighten things up a little, I travel extensively with Sandvik and I needed something a little more mobile.

The problem I am having is my graphics is going black and giving me an error message that Nvidia Driver has stopped responded or that there has been a timeout or once I got the dreaded blue screen.

I believe this is a driver issue, so I am asking if anyone one else is using this video card with Mastercam and if anyone has had similar issues?

Also, what video driver are you using?

Thanks,

Yeah, K2100m is all you can get with a 15.6" display.

I was looking for something more portable, Lugging an 8lb. laptop with a 3 lb. power adapter plus mouse, 3d mouse etc. got a little heavy in airports. I reduced it by over 4 lbs. by going to the zbook but it will do me no good if I can't get it to work. At least I still have my 8760w if I have to go back to it.

Surely someone is using a 15.6" laptop with K2100m card.....Anyone....

Surely someone is using a 15.6" laptop ...

:rofl:

Greetings fellow road warrior.

Surely you jest!

I know I would not be able to get any work done on a monitor that small. Get yourself a rolling bag. I've logged 100k air-miles this year so far. I've got a Dell M6800. I have a Targus TXL17 rolling bag that fits perfectly with my day pack in the overhead bin in front/on top because I don't check anything. It's a little heavy with everything in it but I need the ponies. Those little 15.6 screens just don't cut it.

:rofl:

Greetings fellow road warrior.

Surely you jest!

I know I would not be able to get any work done on a monitor that small. Get yourself a rolling bag. I've logged 100k air-miles this year so far. I've got a Dell M6800. I have a Targus TXL17 rolling bag that fits perfectly with my day pack in the overhead bin in front/on top because I don't check anything. It's a little heavy with everything in it but I need the ponies. Those little 15.6 screens just don't cut it.

Actually, when I wasn't poison ivy ( :laughing: ), and I travelled far more than I do now... I ditched my 17" HP Mobile workstation and reverted to a 15.6" HP Mobile Workstation. Best thing I ever did. More room on the plane, lighter case with lighter notebook and power brick.

I spent a week at the Okuma Thinc facility in Charlotte, tuning the post and Vericut model for the MU500, and all the while using that 'lil 'ol 15.6.

Ok, at the office, and at home I have dual 24's with the notebook in the docking station, but I can tolerate the 15.6 when travelling :)

I can barely tolerate the 17. No screen real estate... or not enough for me. CAMplete needs a lot. MOre than any other software I have by a bunch as there is so much going on. Only one pane is non-essential for me. Plus, I'm often doing demos so that 15 seriously doesn't cut it. But, different strokes for different folks. :yes:

I use a 17 inch as well. I could never go with a smaller screen. For use on an airplane I picked myself up a surface pro 3. It has been very useful for me. 

As for the original poster, Do you have the latest driver loaded? If not load the newest one. If you already have the newest try going back a few versions and see if that fixes things.

I appreciate the responses, I did downsize for travel purposes, and I can function fine on the 15.6" on the road, at home I have a docking station and dual 27" monitors so laptop screen size is a non-issue when I am doing the bulk of my programming. Mostly what I do on the road is minor tweaks to programs I wrote at home.

I did download the latest NVIDIA driver (just released this month) to no avail. I haven't had time to try any other drivers yet, I had to revert back to my trusty 8760w for the time being. I will try again when I have a minute to breathe.

I will say this, other than the display issues, the Zbook runs circles around my similiarly spec'd 8760w, It has to be the processor i7-4910MQ vs. i7-2820QM both have 32GB RAM

Thanks again for the suggestions.

With Optimus, I've had trouble getting the new drivers to install correctly; try doing an install of nvidia's drivers while in safe mode and see if that helps.  I always recommend doing the "custom" install and telling it to do it "clean" so there's no traces of the old drivers there.

The other thing to do is on the nvidia control panel (right click > nvidia control panel) turn on "Display GPU activity in system tray."

post-12334-0-38972800-1443033517_thumb.jpg

Now, you can go down and actually see what programs are using your Nvidia card while the program is running:

post-12334-0-81998500-1443033532_thumb.jpg

Which is helpful to keep a tab on what's actually using your horsepower card..

post-12334-0-38972800-1443033517_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-81998500-1443033532_thumb.jpg

One question not asked Windows version is it Win 10? As for size I do understand about size . I have two backpack one with the 17" and another with 15" Dell precision laptops I use going out at time I just need a Laptop and don't want to drag big birtha around. They are almost the same except that the 15.6 will only except up to the Quadro 2000 just like you. and the big one has 3 drives and the small one has 2. both running Win 10 now. no issues to speak of.

Strange, I don't have that option. I would definitively like to see how hard I push my card.

Yeah, if you're looking for actual tuning/diagnostic info/whatever, there's other programs for that. 

This one is only for laptops that use the Intel/Nvidia combo video cards, that tech called "Optimus" uses the intel for light-weight work like web surfing, excel, word, etc and then will kick up the Nvidia when it's time to do 3d work.   In theory.  I've had my laptop for a few years now (dell precision M6700) and I had some trouble with the earlier drivers where it wasn't using the correct graphics card even when I specifically said to, and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was using which card until I found out about that.

They do this for heat and battery life.  If I don't have any 3d program open, I can get almost 7 hours out of my laptop, but if I open any 3d program, it'll be maybe 2.5.  That's how much juice the Quadro uses.

Yeah, if you're looking for actual tuning/diagnostic info/whatever, there's other programs for that. 

This one is only for laptops that use the Intel/Nvidia combo video cards, that tech called "Optimus" uses the intel for light-weight work like web surfing, excel, word, etc and then will kick up the Nvidia when it's time to do 3d work.   In theory.  I've had my laptop for a few years now (dell precision M6700) and I had some trouble with the earlier drivers where it wasn't using the correct graphics card even when I specifically said to, and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was using which card until I found out about that.

They do this for heat and battery life.  If I don't have any 3d program open, I can get almost 7 hours out of my laptop, but if I open any 3d program, it'll be maybe 2.5.  That's how much juice the Quadro uses.

Its not only the video card that kills the battery but processor too... you're using it more heavy.  

• 1 month later...

Right click in the graphics area of your screen. Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Then go to the Mange 3D Setting. Then selected the program to customize. I like using the Dassault Systemes CATIA - compatible as the default for my global settings. I have used the Workstation App - Advanced streaming with good results.

Here is a screen shot to help.

post-5783-0-08752800-1447865152_thumb.png

Got it - HP tech made me go thru multiple loops of updating drivers and BIOS when I specifically asked if it was possible to assign the NVidia card to a specific software. They're answer was no, not possible. That's when I started looking at the NVidia control panel and fixed the issue. They wanted me to send in the unit for hardware issues.

Thanks!