Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Issues with cutting foam

Festus

sorry that's the only thing I can think of foam isn't the easiest to cut at the best of times

I should clarify I suppose! I can get it to cut okay...just not fast enough! I am looking for any tooling/ application advice. I thought about dipping it into liquid hydrogen to freeze it?

Guest MTB Technical Services

Diamond-coated carbide positive geometry tooling with a cryogenic air blast (Nitrogen).

Because of the co-polymer, you might actually be better of using a carbide burr instead of an edmill.

You can try flash freezing the material with liquid nitrogen but depending on the nature of the foam you may damage it.

• Like 1

Is this foam for investment casting?

As fast RPM as possible, and like MTB says, diamond coated positive super sharp geometry.

I cut a ton of that stuff when making big wax investment masters for 1metre diameter impellers for water jets on a Deckel DMU125P.

Is this foam for investment casting?

As fast RPM as possible, and like MTB says, diamond coated positive super sharp geometry.

I cut a ton of that stuff when making big wax investment masters for 1metre diameter impellers for water jets on a Deckel DMU125P.

Thanks guys...I passed the request on to my tooling guy. It is not a casting.

I do a lot of foam cutting like this for my customer. I use 2flt high spiral carbide end mill with a high sher on them. I run them from 100 to 300 ipm at about 10,000 rpm.

this is a soft foam. Not Renboard type stuff?  that pic looks like pretty hard stuff?