Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New 3+2 at shop need B axis rotation to limit -65 and 110+

trey88

Hey guys having trouble getting the machine definition going in Mastercam.  I think that is the issue.  3+2 Mikron HEM 500.  B axis trunion rotating over y, C axis rotary table on trunnion.  When I go to post and simulate with camplete tho, I keep getting B-90 movements and triggering overtravels in simulation. B axis is restricted to -65 and +110 respectively.  Not sure if I have the machine definition or even the planes set up right.  I have set the axes up in the definition to what I thought was correct, but not sure if they should both be in the table group, or if one should be in the spindle group.  I have the axis limits setup correctly, per the axis in the actual axis page, but it will not go b+90 like it should.  Tried inverting in the control definition but I still get the same thing.  I have a lo tof experience with 3 axis programming but never set up a machine definition before.  I just ran the custom post and generic fanuc post before.  Only modified things in the control definition.  It has to be something simple, but I cannot get the machine to run right in camplete, which in turn will not let me run the machine till I get this problem alleviated.  Need this new machine running in the next few days.  Thanks if anyone can give me a hand in this.

-Trey

It may also possibly be the default plane direction axes are not right and I need to create my own planes in the plane manager?  I understand how to do that, but not sure if that could possibly be my problem. Strongly feel that it is in the machine definition somewhere and it is something simple that I have not done.  Also tried changing CW to CCW rotation buttons but still does the same thing.

Alright, I will look in that solution in the am.  Forgot to bring the camplete key home with me.  Have an extra key here for side work for MC, but haven't got the green light for an extra camplete key yet.  Maybe once the machine gets running and I get the cash flowing to get it.

It goes for b-90 movements and I need b+90 to get the swing like I need.

Trey88: see my post from July 10, specifically the part about a vertical rotating about the Y and Z axes.  Do your programming like you would a 3 axis vertical using top plane for the WCS and the tool plane construction plane for all rotations.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/81907-5-axis-post-help/?hl=matrix#entry995804

Sounds like that trunnion is a Tsudakoma based on the -65 and +110 B moves...  Do you also have the tailstock for the B90 position?

I changed the axes matrix, didn't correct.  I looked into changing in camplete to negative tilt only, they were already set, so I changed to prefer positive tilt.  I have happy simulation now.  Time to prepare for some dry runs.

Also, forgot to add there is no tailstock.

Are you comfortable editing your post?  If so look over the post code below, there should be a section like this in you post.

#Rotary axis travel limits, always in terms of normal angle output
#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on primary
pri_limlo$   : -9999
pri_limhi$   : 9999
#Set intermediate angle, in limits, for post to reposition machine
pri_intlo$   : -9999
pri_inthi$   : 9999

#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on secondary
sec_limlo$   : -20     *this line sets your -rotation limit
sec_limhi$   : 120    *this line sets your +rotation limit
sec_intlo$   : -120
sec_inthi$   : 120

You can play around with those values to get what works for your situation.  We typically only run a -20 rotation to force most the trunnion rotations to stay on the operator side for visibility.  But there are certain situations where we open it up to allow more negative motion, mainly for true 5ax motion.  There are only certain setting that the Machine and Control definition actually control, other things are still controlled by post values, and there are even some that the post will overwrite whatever the Machine and Control defs are set to.  Hope this helps, I know I fought with this exact same thing until digging into the post settings...

try changing the post to this.

#Rotary axis travel limits, always in terms of normal angle output
#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on primary
pri_limlo$   : -9999
pri_limhi$   : 9999
pri_intlo$   : -9999
pri_inthi$   : 9999

#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on secondary
sec_limlo$   : -65
sec_limhi$   : 110
sec_intlo$   : -65
sec_inthi$   : 110

I tried it and it output the "B" axis as a B90.

HTH

I change back to negative tilt in camplete and edited the post.  Went back to running b-90s in camplete again,  Going to leave post with new settings and change back to prefer positive tilt in camplete.  Worked fine so far for me but I haven't actually loaded into the machine today.  Setup man finally finished the machine up yesterday evening and showed me some stuff on the heidenhain, but still not super familiar with it or proper use of picking up parts.  Should have training shortly.  I believe I am going to attempt some air cuts with nothing on the table though to see if everything is running correctly.

Unless there is a specific reason why I should leave the axis to negative tilt only in camplete?  I'm a newbie to this, but I am figuring it out pretty quick.

Your planes in MC won't necessarily come out the same way in CAMplete.

If you set to "prefer", then you are essentially giving it permission to go to that side. I just used negative as most of my machines tilt to the negative if I want work to be on the operator door side.

I use Mastercam's default MD/CD and post since they don't really do anything other than get me what I really need which is NCI.

Are you using the CAMplete C-Hook?

I have to be positive to achieve 90 degrees.  I can go neg, but only to -65.  Why I figured the change to positive preference be more correct.

I'll have to do some trial and error and see what my planes are actually doing in camplete.  Just now really going into depth with it now that I can access the machine.  I was skeptical of it but I'm not 100% sure.  Perhaps I should put different pockets in different sides and see how it's coming out in camplete?

I'm just using the default 5 axis post inside mastercam and posting out NCI code.  I was not aware of a CAMplete chook?  I'll look and see.  Is that something I copy into the c-hooks folder inside mastercam?  Whats the difference in using it versus posting out NCI code?

I have to be positive to achieve 90 degrees.  I can go neg, but only to -65.  Why I figured the change to positive preference be more correct.

Yep, switch the tilt preference in the 3+2 to Positive Only and it will keep things in the direction you want.

I'm just using the default 5 axis post inside mastercam and posting out NCI code.  I was not aware of a CAMplete chook?  I'll look and see.  Is that something I copy into the c-hooks folder inside mastercam?  Whats the difference in using it versus posting out NCI code?

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll get you the C-Hook. It will transfer your holders, your part and your work holding into your CAMplete project.

What CAMplete Build are you running?