Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fillets on Solid

randommachinist

Hey guys, got a question hopefully someone can answer. Anyways, I attached a picture of the project I'm working on. Basically I have some letters that I've cut out and I'm trying to put a radius on the top edge of all the letters and around the outer perimeter. Ive been trying to use constant radius fillet or variable radius fillet and have had little luck. I've gotten an error every time I try to fillet anything. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get a radius on these letters?

post-60809-0-52976200-1443298141_thumb.jpg

ya that one is hard to do...first off your inside corner radii must be = or greater than 3/64...

second the splines you used have far too many pieces...

I could do but it would take some rework...

first I would have to make a manual spline out of all those little splines...

then fillet the inside to a few thou bigger than 3/64.

Then probably convert to surfaces and do the fillet there then turn back into a solid if I wanted a solid...

That is using Mastercam...there are other programs that do that automaticly probably NX or Spaceclaim...

• Like 2

That was a tough one.

I did practically what Murlin was saying except I let mcam do it for me.  I copied your solid to new level.  Then I did silhouette boundary and used "fit arc" and deleted the solid.

Then I created a circle curve for the outside of the ring and extruded a solid.

On the "top" I was able to get a 3/64 to propagate.

However, on the "bottom" I was only able to get 0.034in to propogate.

Took about 8 minutes or so.

I'm out of space but if you pm me your email I'll send the mcam file so you can see the solid history.

That was a tough one.

I did practically what Murlin was saying except I let mcam do it for me. I copied your solid to new level. Then I did silhouette boundary and used "fit arc" and deleted the solid.

Then I created a circle curve for the outside of the ring and extruded a solid.

On the "top" I was able to get a 3/64 to propagate.

However, on the "bottom" I was only able to get 0.034in to propogate.

Took about 8 minutes or so.

I'm out of space but if you pm me your email I'll send the mcam file so you can see the solid history.

Nice....I never thought about silhouette. ...

I will remember that one thanks....

BTW surfaces work easier.....sometimes I will just thicken cut them off if I can't get the surfaces turned back into a solid...I try solid first....

Nice....I never thought about silhouette. ...

I will remember that one thanks....

BTW surfaces work easier.....sometimes I will just thicken cut them off if I can't get the surfaces turned back into a solid...I try solid first....

Mcam is really spoiling me, I rarely create geo or surfaces any more.

I'm not bashful at creating geo or surfaces to get what I want. I pitty da fool who has to go behind me and isn't accustomed to loads of geo/surfaces. Thank God they did viewsheets or I'd wear a mouse out flipping layers on and off.

I used to do everything in surfaces because of fillet in problems such as these. Then solidify the surfaces....Proe had parametric surfaces.

You can cheat and get what you want....wish Mastercam had a couple tools Proe does...because not all geometry will work with the fillet command and some blends have to just be cut off....