Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opti Toolpaths not respecting the boundary

Guest MTB Technical Services

I machine plenty.

You are mixing up two concepts. The concept of roughing without telling mastercam the stock shape and the concept of rest roughing when you do tell mastercam the stock shape. Two very, very different worlds, you can't apply the same thinking to both as you are trying to do.

What you are explaining above can be provided through rest roughing. I am more than happy to confront all your questions live in a gotomeeting...

My apologies, didn't mean to offend. I didn't realize there was so much actual machining in what you do.

Let's say you have a part roughly 180in x 90in and 60in tall. Now all that extra trochoidal blows cycle time up.

I know exactly what you are saying, I understood perfectly and am spoiled having worked with Esprit and automated stock and respected boudaries.

Here's what would make my day with Opti rest path:

Stay hard inside boundary and approach stock from outside.

I did get a bit frustrated earlier and I am currently programming one my tiny parts at 36in x 36in and I currently have 6 solid model toolpaths and offset and offset and offset geo to properly contain it. In order to keep cycle times down I have to keep "from outside" so that it doesn't immediately go into trochoidal mode as it does when you use "stay inside."

If you'd like I'll email you my part and you can apply a few paths to it or I'd do a goto meeting at your convenience.

I'd love to learn something!

I machine plenty.

You are mixing up two concepts. The concept of roughing without telling mastercam the stock shape and the concept of rest roughing when you do tell mastercam the stock shape. Two very, very different worlds, you can't apply the same thinking to both as you are trying to do.

What you are explaining above can be provided through rest roughing. I am more than happy to confront all your questions live in a gotomeeting...

I can confirm that this man has the experience he is talking about.

There is no reason to reduce the conversion to personal attacks.

Dave just giving credit where credit is due is all. I would like to see the verbiage changed as well. I also appreciate you stopping by the other day to see in what ways we are using the Opti-Rough toolpaths. Just took an almost 8000lb piece of aluminum and turned it into right now about 900lbs. Time it is all said and done will weight 350lbs. Was taking cuts at 1200 ipm with a 60% step over on a 2" tool with .125 depth of cut at 24000 rpms. We were getting 180 in^3 of metal removal. I have seen machines cut, but this was the most amount of chips I have produced in such a short amount of time. Machine was throwing chips 30 to 40 foot away from it and it not a small machine. Then took Opti-Rough with rest Material and been working form there. I have made some huge stock models after I got my WCS issues all cleared up. Still got a lot of work left on the project, but the HST toolpaths have done a great job. Wish I could share some videos and pictures of this project, but strictly ITAR and proprietary information. 

• Like 3

David,

My sincerest apologies for the "you must not machine much" comment.  I have no idea of your background and was speaking out of frustration.

Thank you for responding, I have replied and look forward to hearing from you.

Dave just giving credit where credit is due is all. I would like to see the verbiage changed as well. I also appreciate you stopping by the other day to see in what ways we are using the Opti-Rough toolpaths. Just took an almost 8000lb piece of aluminum and turned it into right now about 900lbs. Time it is all said and done will weight 350lbs. Was taking cuts at 1200 ipm with a 60% step over on a 2" tool with .125 depth of cut at 24000 rpms. We were getting 180 in^3 of metal removal. I have seen machines cut, but this was the most amount of chips I have produced in such a short amount of time. Machine was throwing chips 30 to 40 foot away from it and it not a small machine. Then took Opti-Rough with rest Material and been working form there. I have made some huge stock models after I got my WCS issues all cleared up. Still got a lot of work left on the project, but the HST toolpaths have done a great job. Wish I could share some videos and pictures of this project, but strictly ITAR and proprietary information. 

Mind telling what tool this is?

No, it's a different JOBS at a different company.

Yes different company that sends things into Space. We have had a lot of neat projects going on and glad to work with the group I get to work with. Having the team we have right now puts our group in a great place, but we all know that means nothing.

Dave has answered a lot of questions and corrected some of my misunderstandings about the HST Toolpaths. We all have frustrations and I can vent my out just like anyone. I am glad the thread turned back around and I gained some more insight into HST toolpaths as I am sure CNC Software has as well.

"You would be surprised to know what some of their competitors are able to do with copy and paste, and ESPECIALLY, keeping your settings during these events. Easy to the point of simply picking your new orientation plane and everything else is automatically taken, including geometry." 

I'm more thankful than surprised with this concept as I use it all the time with another software package. For the noob with little or no machining experience, it can waste machine spindle time or even be catastrophic. Wrong speeds and feeds, needlessly re-cutting geometry and so on. For the skilled programmer that knows what's needed next or may even be fishing, this ability is priceless.