Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Clicks

Pizza_m79

Hello

Have been using mastercam mill for a couple years now (x4, x8, x9) 

I work mostly in 2D with DWG drawing sent to me and in this order.

1. Make copies of the geometry to be milled and pull them aside so I dont mess with the originals.

2. Create a new dynamic plane for the geometry to be milled and name it.    4clicks  

3. Make a new machine group and name it same as plane for easy location.    2clicks

4. Bounding box around geometry and add thickness Z.    6clicks

5. Import toolpath operations from library and assign current plane.    8clicks

6. Add chains. (one chain)    5clicks

7. Regenerate, verify and post.    5clicks

8. Save and on to next drawing.

With the project thats on the table at the moment I do about 30 geometries a day.

Have already made things easier but still think its to many "clicks". Since arms, hands and fingers

are my tools I wish to spare them all extra, what can be done? How many of these commands can

be put under shortcut keys and maybe save some clicks. A few places you can hit enter instead

of clicking ok button but that does not work everywhere. Perhaps something could be

saved as default so no need to change it for every new geometry.

Matias... 

IMNSHO, if you're really concerned about clicks, best to find a different line of work....  :p

Sure, some stuff could be built into a VB script to automate some....

There is a VB script forum on this forum, if you know how or have the desire to learn, I would look in there for some help in creating one 

Someone suggested the "a form filler" program and with that I manage to automate something.

"THAD" replied when I was typing :)

It's comparable to most kind of work. If you have a removal firm and lift heavy furniture all the time

should you not want to lift correctly and avoid having back problems later on.

Same for any office job, better to work ergonomically. Have the computer do the

work for you and not the other way around    :pc:

Matias...

Importing toolpath I made so it's checked "assign current system tool and construction plane"

and when selecting wanted operation and importing it does the xtra clicks for you, just close the manager afterwards.

When pressing POST button I only have to give the filename and it's done. The post processor we have (for a XILOG program)

is perhaps not the best written one so there where alot of clicking before.

May not seem much but from 30 clicks down to about 20 per program and multiply with how many

you make a year. Those tiny bones in your fingers salut you     :thumbsup:

Importing toolpath I made so it's checked "assign current system tool and construction plane"

and when selecting wanted operation and importing it does the xtra clicks for you, just close the manager afterwards.

I use it for "assign current system..." too. I also use it for the "Import operations groups too?" and the confirmation "XX operations imported." That's 3 saved clicks per import. I import from my library all day long so over the course of a day, it's a lot of clicks, not to mention time saved.

If you have  a lot of repetitive keystokes, you could buy a programmable keyboard and create 1 click macros to execute them

A 3D Connexion 3D mouse can also take a lot of the load off your mouse hand and the higher end models also have programmable buttons.

I do one other thing, I own a half dozen high quality mice, and rotate between them ever six months or so

I know people who have had to leave this business because on finger/wrist issues and I do everything

I can to not join their ranks

Been doing this for the better part of 25 years, meh thinks you over state the issue....

Good posture works wonders

It is for each of us to tilt at those windmills we choose I guess

I agree that there are too many clicks to do some things in MC. Surely you can't blame someone for wanting to work more efficiently. I admit, I'm more concerned with saving time than my finger. I don't think I'll wear that out.

Stuff like having to re-select the .stl to compare to in verify EVERY time is ridiculous.

Stuff like having to re-select the .stl to compare to in verify EVERY time is ridiculous.

Really, this is not a behavior I see.....

If I shut down, it will lose it most times but if I am working on it, it doesn't

We're getting a little bit off topic here, but if I program my roughing toolpaths, verify them, then get the machine running while I program the finish toolpaths. When I verify the finish, I have to re-pick the .stl to compare to again. You're not seeing this? I'm closing out the verify window out in between verifying the rough and finish. As far as I know, verify will only show toolpaths that were created prior to the verify window opening so it has to be closed in between.

Test: Verify a toolpath and compare to .stl, then close the verify window. Now verify the same toolpath again and you'll have to browse/select the .stl to compare to again. MC should remember the last .stl that was used.

We're getting a little bit off topic here, but if I program my roughing toolpaths, verify them, then get the machine running while I program the finish toolpaths. When I verify the finish, I have to re-pick the .stl to compare to again. You're not seeing this? I'm closing out the verify window out in between verifying the rough and finish. As far as I know, verify will only show toolpaths that were created prior to the verify window opening so it has to be closed in between.

Test: Verify a toolpath and compare to .stl, then close the verify window. Now verify the same toolpath again and you'll have to browse/select the .stl to compare to again. MC should remember the last .stl that was used.

I do not use the compare stl function

I verify using and stl as stock, then compare to the solids on the screen

For anyone who uses compare to .stl, they have to select the .stl every time they run verify. That's poor design. :thumbdown:

I'll be switching over to the method you mentioned to save me those extra clicks. It will also save me the time of creating the .stl. :thumbup:

Have you tried using stock model instead?

There are no external files, set your verify options to load what ever stock model & go.

• Like 2

Have you tried using stock model instead?

There are no external files, set your verify options to load what ever stock model & go.

I still get too many stock models that come in missing faces and are otherwise problematic

I use them if they work, otherwise, it's back to stl's

but we have gotten WAY OT here  :)

^^ Guess I'm not seeing the reasoning behind countin' how many times I left click or right click in the software.

It's kinda like a mechanic complainin' about how many times he needs to use a ratchet throughout the day.

jus my 0.02 pesos

• Like 1

^^ Guess I'm not seeing the reasoning behind countin' how many times I left click or right click in the software.

It's kinda like a mechanic complainin' about how many times he needs to use a ratchet throughout the day.

Do you see a problem with clicking 10 times for something that should only take 3 clicks?

Do you think your mechanic would have a problem with having to remove a 4" long screw just to disconnect your battery?

• Like 1

Between my Spacepilot Pro, Logitech Performance MX and Logitech I have all the customizable buttons I could ever want. Not to mention the hot keys I can setup in Mastercam. You would barely have to click the mouse if that's what you want. I myself find it easier (both as far as time and fatigue level) to just click the right and left buttons. If there is any action to avoid its using the scroll wheel on a mouse, that action kills my wrist. In any CAD/CAM software I use my Spacepilot, anything else I use the arrow keys. I'm not saying there isn't areas for improvement, because there is. All I'm saying is there is options to get around it if you desire.