Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Clicks

Pizza_m79

Nothing at all wrong with it all (I'm in favor of it actually), but it still has to be done.  If you don't have the equipment for it then just do it.

I think it's a matter of how much time goes into it.  If your tool crib guy is spending 25% of his time tightening collet nuts, either he needs to be trained better or the procedure needs to be addressed.  Automating it would be one possible way to address it.

Similarly if creating a horizontal line took three keystrokes and two clicks in version 9 but 4-5 keystrokes and two clicks in X9, then either the software should be made more efficient or the input systems needs to be worked around. The programmable buttons / keyboards are a reasonable way to do that workaround, but the software should be looked at first.

I wish I had a clickometer. I'd love to know how many clicks I've committed in the last 15 years.

I've never worried about it, like stated above its just part of the job. It'd be like the guy at the machine wanting to automate collet nut torquing.

You can try to install Whatpulse client to get statistics. FYI i click between 10000 and 15000 per day mainly with mastercam and my fingers and wrist are really painfull some day. I got a spacepilot and an evoluent mouse (really great btw).

I Just get x9 and really miss key shortcuts from x3 like (alt-t, t,t or r) to translate or rotate which doesn t work anymore... but I think it s only on french version.damn

there sure are some workflow issues with MC.

useless need for clicking is my #1 problem with this software.

if you change a parameter in a toolpath and want to see the backplot you should just be able to hit backplot.

IS THE POP UP ASKING IF WE WANT TO REGEN REALLY NEEDED????? :realmad:

I could go on and on.

some CAM soft auto regens. is there a way to get MC to do this?

One of the the most useful things in Mastercam is "File | File Merge / Pattern".  Something I have done for two decades is use "Template" files to really speed up the programming of common/repetitive parts.

With a "Template" file You can merge your CAD file into a .mcx-9 file that already has:

1.  All the toolpaths you use with lead in/lead out, stepover, feeds/speeds, etc... already setup - just select your geometry

2.  All the Tools you use

3.  Planes pre-created wherre all you have to do is set the origin to your custom geometry

4.  Pre-named levels for you to copy geometry to

Using a "Template" file is easy, just open your "Template" and "Merge" in your CAD file.  You now have a huge head start on getting that job done.

The only real downside to using a "Template" file is I cannot drag & drop a cad file into Mastercam X9 and have it merge the geometry.  To use the Merge function I have to do it via the File menu  or a shortcut icon.  Lots of clicks just to open a file.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

The only real downside to using a "Template" file is I cannot drag & drop a cad file into Mastercam X9 and have it merge the geometry. To use the Merge function I have to do it via the File menu or a shortcut icon. Lots of clicks just to open a file.

Hope this helps

Use the shift key when you drop the file on the Mcam icon or,....

drop the file in the graphics background.

I guess I'm a lousy person. I see a shortcut and if possible to take it with minimum effort I'm going for it.

I work in the boat business and for example when taking out floorboards lets say 100 pcs for one boat that means

100 different planes. Would love to nest them but not possible because every single piece have to be

perfect quality. To find complete ex. teak plywood sheets that quality is almost impossible so every

single program needs to be measured in to the right place by operator. 

As many other I too tried different mouses. For me it wasn't a arm or wrist issue but the actual finger movement

all day long. No matter what way my hand or arm is the fingers make same movements, they click buttons.

I ended up swapping from right to left hand so I cant really afford another loss    :welcome:

So getting rid of some extra confirmation screens and buttons worked great with "a form filler"