Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Re initializing Speeds and Feeds

Müřlıń®

I don't get it. Why have the ability to have to use the speed/feed "From Tool" in the Tool Settings, yet when changing to a different tool, you have to re-initialize. This has caught me so many times.

It is counterproductive.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Why have the ability to have to use the speed/feed "From Tool" in the Tool Settings, yet when changing to a different tool, you have to re-initialize. This has caught me so many times.

It is counterproductive.

Man, this has caught my junk in the zipper so many times.

It is an complex process at times as a programmer. Where do you find the happy medium in a you daily work like this? You are programming along and you pick a tool and an engineer decides to make a rev change mid stream or you think a different tool will do a better job. You go in to the tool manager and take the time to define everything. You pick that defined speed and feed and describe it perfectly. Now you bring it into the operation already done and boom you forget to hit the magic fair dust button. I was told the magic fairy dust button of Reinitialize Speeds and Feeds after using the lock feed rates was introduced back around X5 was a major customer complaint. The majority of people demanded that feed and speeds be locked and having the tool that someone took the time to define and the library someone spent years building meant nothing to an operation. I have gone back and forth since then with no Lock Feed Rates and Lock Feed Rates. Still has burned me both ways and I have still tore up tools because I missed it.

People hate questions and popups, people hate when software does things for them, some people like it when software does things for them and some people love popups. You have those managers who love the idea of feeding a PDF or Solid Model into the machine and 5 minutes later out comes this part that use to take 800 hours to machine. I honestly don't know what is the best answer. Our group jumps between so many different machines and projects really hard to nail down a correct defined and dialed in method. In the last year we have programmed for well over 50 different machines with 30 different materials. Simple 2 Axis Lathe all the way up to 9 Axis Lathes with a Lower Turret and B Spindle and Triple Turrets with Dual Spindles. 3 Axis VMC, 4 axis VMC, 4 Axis HMC, 5 Axis HMC, 5 Axis VMC, 5 Axis Routers and a lot of different types of tools and holders. You do the same type of thing day in and day put then I think you could settle on a process and a method, but still see this one thing as one of those issues that the programmer can get bitten. I can say since lock feed rates was introduced it has bitten me and a lot of the programmers I know and work with way more times than not having it ever did.

• Like 1

I have been bit by this a few times. Lock feed rate is something people have asked for. Only problem is people wanted it on the operation level not config level. If you think about it why would I lock the feed in an entire file? I want to define my tools with a "standard" feed rate, say for a 50% step over. Than when I use that tool for dynamic style roughing I can modify the speed for that roughing operation and lock the operations speed. That would make far more sense that what they gave us. Better yet I would like to see the ability to define more than one speed and feed for a tool.

• Like 1

If there was just a way to reinitialize All the speeds and feeds at once in the ops manager that would be extremely helpful....

I have been bit by this a few times. Lock feed rate is something people have asked for. Only problem is people wanted it on the operation level not config level. If you think about it why would I lock the feed in an entire file? I want to define my tools with a "standard" feed rate, say for a 50% step over. Than when I use that tool for dynamic style roughing I can modify the speed for that roughing operation and lock the operations speed. That would make far more sense that what they gave us. Better yet I would like to see the ability to define more than one speed and feed for a tool.

yes that would also be great...the way it is now I have to use multiple tools with the same number...

Right click in the tool list in the Ops Mgr

Re initialize feeds and speeds

yes my process is that when I finally get an ops completed I have to do that last.....one by one....click tool, reinitialize....and hope that while I am up at 2:AM with heavy eyelids trying to get this program out, I don't fat finger the tool in the popup and accidentally change the tool for the op that causes me to dirty my op and repick the wrong tool(since I have multiple tools with the same number)

But sometimes I just forget to hit the majak button.

Has anyone gone into their config >> Toolpaths and unchecked Lock Feedrates?

Yes I have done it both ways and sometimes for some reason when I unlock feedrates there will always be one tool somehow that does not change....If I go into the tool and edit the speeds and feeds  with locked feedrated unchecked it sometimes will not update and whatever the old feeds and feeds were it picks the one from tool description in ops rather than updating it from the tool.

I haven't got it narrowed down to the exact things I have to do to make that happen just know that even when those paras update when you edit your tool the NCI still has the old speeds and feeds stuck and when you post the feeds and speeds are wrong on some tools.

• 10 months later...