Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

export/importing ops

Müřlıń®

I have a bunch of drilling cycles to do.

One way I have found to speed up the process is by exporting ops into a folder for each tool so all the parameters will already be set.

However in ops you end up with a million tools with the same number.  They are the exact same tool but yet they are copies and the op will point to that tool.

is there any way to stop all the copies?

One thing you can do is create one file with the operations laid out how I want them, than in the new file I import from the previous file and it gives you the option to import toolpath groups as well. Than all I have to do is re-select geometry. Option two, and I do this all the time when doing a family of parts if the parts are close to identical, I will finish the first file and than save it under the new name and just import the new solid. That way most of the work is already done, I would just need to change the differences. This works great if there are only minor differences between parts.

• Like 1

I seem to still be having a problem with importing ops.

My problem is now I took Bens advice and imported all of the ops from one file out to an ops file.

I then opened the next file and deleted all the tools in the library, opened up the tool library I wanted to use and selected all the tools and moved them up to be used.

Then I imported 50 ops into my file.

Now I should be able to reselect my points, tools, and regen right?

After picking my tool and closing out the file it seems some of the tool get switched around, some of the ops I had chosen the drill on are now the reamer and vice versa...

Anyone else seen this?

Would it be best to make a seed file with all your tools and everything in it and then import your new model into that seed file? Delete out the d model and use the new model in that seed file like a template file since you have so much trouble with the import and export of operations?

this is what I do because I was also having the same problems as murlin is seems to work for me

Would it be best to make a seed file with all your tools and everything in it and then import your new model into that seed file? Delete out the d model and use the new model in that seed file like a template file since you have so much trouble with the import and export of operations?

I agree. With what you are working on I think this would be your best bet.

Yes I thought about that.

EDIT...I had previously thought it would mess up the work I had already done on the files I had but I really wouldnt have to change much just a few names in ops.

But it isn't all bad...I did find out what had to be done to use imported ops but like learning new ways of doing things in Mastercam usually means you waste allot of time figuring out the process.

I then opened the next file and deleted all the tools in the library, opened up the tool library I wanted to use and selected all the tools and moved them up to be used.

Then I imported 50 ops into my file.

What is this all about? This procedure may be causing your problem.

I import ops for 99% of my programming and I never have duplicate tools unless I want them. There is a checkbox somewhere (in the config?) to prompt for bringing in duplicate tools.

Thad, I was using a seed file and it had some tools in the library that were not used in this file and they were also the same number as the import ops.

so I wiped the tool library before import.

The problem is that I MUST have 8 ..4 duplicate tools....each tool has a drill and a reamer with the same number.  This is because each tool is a combined drill/ream they are called "Dreamers"...

To make matters worse the customer wants a special drill cycle and different speeds and feeds on the drills vs the reamers so the drill/ream has to be done in 2 ops because no such drill cycle exists in Mastercam.

The machine will not accept canned cycles and the post must convert to longhand.

Some of the drills are deep and must be pecked, some of the reamers must have a stop spindle retract while others just use a feed out cycle...

It gets pretty complicated...

College boys and their new Ideas.......pfft...

I would say I use my ops library like Thad does. bring in ops that I need, tools,speeds and feeds are already set, just pick my geometry and set my depth. The tools are  put in the tool library so there is no need to select them first. Sounds like you are selecting tools and then ops which gives you duplicate tools