jlw™

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

No, for creating geometry.  For example, if you want to create a point a certain distance from another point I would create a point there then translate it.  If you shift-click you can type in X,Y,Z coords to put the point where you want it from the one click.  Try it with drawing lines or anything I've tried so far has worked.

• Like 9

Keep a bottle of your favorite liquor in your bottom desk drawer  ;)

No, for creating geometry.  For example, if you want to create a point a certain distance from another point I would create a point there then translate it.  If you shift-click you can type in X,Y,Z coords to put the point where you want it from the one click.  Try it with drawing lines or anything I've tried so far has worked.

Nice! I didn't know that. :thumbup:

Keep a bottle of your favorite liquor in your bottom desk drawer   ;)

I knew that one. ;)

• Like 1

There are many hidden features.  I've been driving Mastercam for twenty years and I just found out I think a year or two ago that you can use a mill face operation without any geometry, and it will use the stock definition for extents.

• Like 4
  • Huh? 1

Get used to using <Alt> followed by keystrokes for menu navigation.  Support isn't 100% for this but it works for the vast majority of functions, and once you're used to it it's far faster than moving your mouse away from the workpiece to click icons and menu items and then bring it back.

• Like 3

Aside from save often and keep liquor on hand (the most important tricks of all), if you have to do multiple plane work, use view sheets.

• Like 7

Love me some viewsheets.

Ok, so today I accidently found this magical shift-click when creating 2d geo and it's got me wondering, what else am I missing?

Pitch in your tips/tricks/methods if you please!

This is the Relative option been there for a long time one of my favs.

post-1097-0-65640200-1446482050_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tips and tricks:

• Shift select geometry = selects entire chain and any geometry connected to selected geometry.
  • Alt Select points through geometry = holding alt and selecting points turns on Vector selection, which selects anything the vector crosses
  • Alt + E = activates screen hide function, to use select what you want to keep on screen and hit alt E, anything not selected disappears and repeat function and geo will return
  • Find overlap = a chook found under settings run user applications which is good for files with poor geometry and overlapping geometry
  • Importing and exporting toolpaths = this saves time, you can import and export operations by right clicking in the toolpath manager window
  • Edit common parameters = ever want to turn all coolant on for every operation or some other common setting change, to use this select all operations you want to be effected and right click in the toolpath manager window, go to edit selected operations --> common parameters
  • Viewsheets = useful for any complex part using lots of operations (located under view --> viewsheets in X9, or settings viewsheets x8 and prior)
  • Dynamic X-form = once you fully understand this xform function its difficult to live without, this tool can simplify the way you move and rotate geometry.
  • temp center points = handy for finding centers, hover mouse over two locations when creating geometry or when using x form tools and Mastercam will display a center point between the two location's.
  • quick masks = left click for a quick mask selection, right click for a select only function.

these are just a few that I find helpful from time to time.

those are the ones I use most!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 8

Did you know that if all you have is a solid and you want to offset an edge , you do not have to create a curve first. just click the edge of the solid select the direction and it will create a line for you.

This is the Relative option been there for a long time one of my favs.

Ahh yes, I remember in V9 and before...Create-Line-Relative... or Create-Point-Relative...  I just never really used it.

• Like 6

This is one I use.  When analyzing a feature, you can type in new values for that feature.  If you click analyze entities or "F4" and then click on an arc, you can type in a new radius or diameter and hit enter.  Lines, click on line and change endpoints.  Etc...  So rather than doing a transform, projection or offset operation, you can alter the geometry at  the point of the analysis, once you hit enter, the entity will change.

This. You can also alter dimension notes and labels the same way. If you need to change what the label says, move it, resize it, etc after you already made it, just select the label and hit F4, and use the "Edit Text" option to change the text, and the "Quick Edit" option to move it and access the size option toolbars.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

invert selection. I use that button alot. And the Verisurf tools. Can't install a new version without it

post-5509-0-48812400-1446563752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1