Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

jlw™

In the Bounding Box function I find it a tad frustrating that there's no "reset" button if you have been editing the bounding box extents and decide you quickly want to start again from the initial values (no... I haven't logged this as an enhancement request but I will!).  I usually select the "manual" button and reselect the geometry I am working with, or press "All shown" if I want to put a box over all the geometry on-screen.   However I discovered this week if you just set your Gview to Top, even if you are already in the Top view then it will reset the bounding box values to their original settings.

In my limited testing this seems to work best with the Top Gview; Front or Right Side gviews don't seem to reset the values.

• Like 1

Something handy for Mobile users

I'm onsite alot, but not always connected to my server (via VPN). I was having issues with slow MCX opens, I realized my Recent files list was heavily populated with server locations and windows tries to populate the list until it times out and continues on with the open MCX process.

Since there is no setting in MCX to set max number of file history (I couldn't find one) I found the registry entry and modified it.

Note this will remove history for open and save as

Went from this: (2017 for reference)                                                                     to this:

image.png.100f0097c5477dbbb58898e1779aa70d.pngimage.png.216a999cad650cf176e1ee9304e82827.png

image.thumb.png.7f0c17d1ded97749e74102638545f226.png

• Like 1
On 12/13/2019 at 7:42 PM, Codeworx said:

Something handy for Mobile users

I'm onsite alot, but not always connected to my server (via VPN). I was having issues with slow MCX opens, I realized my Recent files list was heavily populated with server locations and windows tries to populate the list until it times out and continues on with the open MCX process.

Since there is no setting in MCX to set max number of file history (I couldn't find one) I found the registry entry and modified it.

Note this will remove history for open and save as

Went from this: (2017 for reference)                                                                     to this:

image.png.100f0097c5477dbbb58898e1779aa70d.pngimage.png.216a999cad650cf176e1ee9304e82827.png

image.thumb.png.7f0c17d1ded97749e74102638545f226.png

Right here sir and don't need to hack the registry.

image.thumb.png.7019d46124a9a2a2bc035d5ddeceb761.png

• Like 1

I have developed a method for programming Multi Turret and Single or Twin Spindle machines over the years and thought I would share it. I name my Groups with a Prefix like so:

image.thumb.png.4dc4139a967af0c35d9b42403be9d1a6.png

LLT = Left Lower Turret

LUT = Left Upper Turret

RUT = Right Upper Turret

RLT = Right Lower Turret

I follow a Clockwise process laying out like this. There is only 4 Axis combinations on a Lathe. Even with 4 Turrets you only need 4 Axis Combinations. Yes you can program with each Turret to Multiple Axis Combination places, but that is not what I am referring to with what I use. I am referring to what is going to be runnign where and in what place for each group. The thing I have found using this method is when I do the syncing process it helps me to divide up what the Left side is doing while the right side is doing its work. The picture has over 90 programmed Mastercam operations not shown, but each group may only have one operation or 10. Really comes down to the part and what helps me to organize them for these types of machines. Just more I thought I would share to help the community.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 9:07 PM, Boo said:

Neither I guess. I used to work in DEPOCAM before where I had the ability to simply record a series of actions and save it as a macro. But maybe I'm getting the therms wrong here..

File>Options>Keyboard shortcuts[Customize] will allow you to assign keystrokes to specific functions. I use this combined with a Logitech G600 so I can have my most used functions with one button click(logitech gaming software allows you to record keystroke macros)

Just figured out a Nesting order trick that has helped me to make sure that things are machined in the order I want because I've noticed that sometimes Mcam does weird things when nesting...

- For initial programming I assign a new ascending tool number for each operation(regardless of if it's the same tool)

- I nest using the Tool number: Ascending Sorting Method

- I then go back to the operations and re-assign the tool numbers so each tool only has one tool number 

By doing this when I post the code the tool numbers are updated but the order is still as it was with the ascending sorting method.

This allows me to nest many different parts while maintaining the operations manager cut order and minimizing tool changes.

Not sure if there is a better way of doing this but it sure beats having to replace tool numbers in the code editor...

One project this saved loads of cut time with was a 5 axis nest(was actually a 3+2 converted to 5 axis) that when nested normally was re-positioning to each faceted face of each part, after doing this I was able to stay on one plane for all parts before re-positioning for the next plane.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vector creation is one of those process depending on what type of work you do may or may not be need. 4 Axis and 5 Axis toolpath will sometimes be greatly helped, by using vectors. There are many different ways to create vectors and today I needed a different way to create a range of vectors on a tall part where I will be doing full 5 axis machining for about 32" in Z and swing the head form 45 to 100 degrees and then spin is the full 360 around Z. I have a bunch of irregular edges and features, but taking this 1" ball endmill with a 18.875 Gauge Length in an from a HSK100 using a CAPTO C8 to C8 to C6 from C6 to 1"  Weldon that will be sticking 6" out of the holder this is what I needed to solve. I did some concept stuff for this approach about 6 weeks ago and now I need to get it implemented. I tried using limits and after 8 hours of crunching the toolpath it was terrible. ( I let it do it last night while I was sleeping) 

I was thinking okay whats the best way to get an underside angle at the top that will kick the head down to 100 degrees?  Then come down the vertical face to 47 degrees? I need 2 degrees to keep the head far enough away to not collide with the part. I then need 45 degrees at the end because they threw a cavity in the part with a 45 degree wall close to where I will be ending in this large sardine can of a part. I can draw one vector and try to rotate it around, but the toolpath will freak out if the vector is not close enough to the surface it is cutting. I could draw some splines and try to cheat them in. Then it dawned on me. Surface/Draft. ( I wish this work with solid edges) With Surface draft I get the perfect angle where I want it on the exact edge I want it. I had to go pick the 856 edges I wanted to make the draft surface from. I then picked my top edges and got the 100 degree draft. I then picked my inside bottom surfaces and got my 47 degree surfaces I wanted. I then picked the last edge and got the 45 degree surfaces I wanted. I then made a curve edge on that top edge for each of the 3 angles all the way around. Yes each surface one by one all 856 new surfaces. I then turned them into a single spline. I then used create point segment with .500 spacing and create an equal number of points on the top and on the bottom. I then used create line with lock to snap and draw all the vectors lines. I lost count I guess about 4000 vector lines. I will seprate to a level and get an official count. Now I have my vectors to drive my toolpath from 100 to 47 back to 45. Sorry ITAR part so I cannot share pictures, but hopefully someone can follow the process and use it to help them when they need it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, Steelab said:

Just figured out a Nesting order trick that has helped me to make sure that things are machined in the order I want because I've noticed that sometimes Mcam does weird things when nesting...

- For initial programming I assign a new ascending tool number for each operation(regardless of if it's the same tool)

- I nest using the Tool number: Ascending Sorting Method

- I then go back to the operations and re-assign the tool numbers so each tool only has one tool number 

By doing this when I post the code the tool numbers are updated but the order is still as it was with the ascending sorting method.

This allows me to nest many different parts while maintaining the operations manager cut order and minimizing tool changes.

Not sure if there is a better way of doing this but it sure beats having to replace tool numbers in the code editor...

One project this saved loads of cut time with was a 5 axis nest(was actually a 3+2 converted to 5 axis) that when nested normally was re-positioning to each faceted face of each part, after doing this I was able to stay on one plane for all parts before re-positioning for the next plane.

I'm very interested in this comment!? My reseller has claimed this is not possible?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Festus said:

I'm very interested in this comment!? My reseller has claimed this is not possible?

On 6/11/2020 at 4:40 AM, jlw™ said:

I'd like to see a file or video.

Simple swarf mill program to show ascending tool numbers changed after nesting to post a single tool and cut in correct sequence.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, Steelab said:

Didn't know theee was 5 axis nesting, does this allow seamless import of 5 ax toolpaths woth associated solid geometry?

I know 3 axis does.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, byte me said:

Didn't know theee was 5 axis nesting, does this allow seamless import of 5 ax toolpaths woth associated solid geometry?

I know 3 axis does.

The 5 axis nesting that I've done has been limited to swarf mill, horizontal area, and contours on tilted planes(so, all technically 3+2 not full 5axis). It's worked very well and all of them have had associated solid geometry. Also, I've had to convert the operations that try to post as 3+2 into 5 axis because our router(2006 CR Onsrud split table) doesn't work with 3+2 operations on the larger table or table lock mode...

• 2 weeks later...

X, J, O in solid chaining. All lowercase letters I just made them upper case since they are all uppercase on my keyboard. No you don't need to hit the shift key when in solid chaining. 

X is NeXt or same direction you want to be chaining in that you were

O is PreviOus or backup becuase that is not the next direction I wanted to go

J is AdJust or change direction to us lesser educated folks. J will not underline

E is End. Pretty much sums itself up as a function

R is Reverse. Reverse the direction of the chain

• Like 3
23 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

X, J, O in solid chaining. All lowercase letters I just made them upper case since they are all uppercase on my keyboard. No you don't need to hit the shift key when in solid chaining. 

X is NeXt or same direction you want to be chaining in that you were

O is PreviOus or backup becuase that is not the next direction I wanted to go

J is AdJust or change direction to us lesser educated folks. J will not underline

E is End. Pretty much sums itself up as a function

R is Reverse. Reverse the direction of the chain

I use these all the time. There was one version that the E stopped working on and it was very annoying

• Like 1