Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

jlw™

is there a spot  to set a tolerance for surfs made, normally they look fasseted to other geometry.

JP said to scale it so probably not. (Like setting solid tolerances, so when you create curves on edges, the solid  tolerances are  the default )

18 hours ago, mike93 said:

is there a spot  to set a tolerance for surfs made, normally they look fasseted to other geometry.

JP said to scale it so probably not. (Like setting solid tolerances, so when you create curves on edges, the solid  tolerances are  the default )

A shot in the dark, but is this what you're looking for?

Capture.JPG

I just stumbled across this in the "Open File" dialog...

You can PIN files to the top by using the pins on the side.

Pretty handy to keep the files you are working on at the top of the page, until you are done with them... then you can unpin them.

I thought it was new to 2019, but I went back and looked and it was also available in 2018 and even 2017.

Wish I had spotted it sooner... nice feature!

SS.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Reko said:

I just stumbled across this in the "Open File" dialog...

You can PIN files to the top by using the pins on the side.

Pretty handy to keep the files you are working on at the top of the page, until you are done with them... then you can unpin them.

I thought it was new to 2019, but I went back and looked and it was also available in 2018 and even 2017.

Wish I had spotted it sooner... nice feature!

SS.png

You can pin files in with the open icon in the master window also so you don't have to hit file. Also set the number of recent files

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I created short cut keys for view direction....

T- top

R- Right

L -left

i - iso

I don't know why I never did it sooner.. I hate two-key or right click commands...

but the MX 2s master has done well too. my thumb is now my shift key so I can pan, zoom and rotate with one hand...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, seltz08 said:

I created short cut keys for view direction....

T- top

R- Right

L -left

i - iso

I don't know why I never did it sooner.. I hate two-key or right click commands...

but the MX 2s master has done well too. my thumb is now my shift key so I can pan, zoom and rotate with one hand...

Does that interfere when entering, for example, level or view names that include those letters?  I have <Alt>+<~> set to Gview = Tplane.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Does that interfere when entering, for example, level or view names that include those letters?  I have <Alt>+<~> set to Gview = Tplane.

Honestly, I don't use different levels all that often. So no, not really lol

On 8/12/2018 at 1:58 AM, 5th Axis CGI said:

... I have taught Mastercam to well over 200 people and in every class ...

That's just the ones you saw  in a class room Ron.

You better add heavens knows how many thousand to that figure, for the ones that have read your posts over the years.

:notworthy:

:cheers:

• Like 8
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 2:53 AM, mike93 said:

One thing that affects the appearance of surfaces when zoomed in is the Surface Shading "Chord Height".  It is found in the system Configuration under Shading.  The default in metric is 0.025mm but if I have a part whose edges are looking rough I reduce it temporarily to 0.01 or less.  You may need to force a screen display regeneration afterwards (CTRL-Shift-R) to update the image.

Edited by Rich Thomas 4D Engineering
Changed some text for clairty
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

I just realized you can trim a optirough path to the shank of the tool

Use a stock model of the stock and then pick that as the one operation in the opti-rough. Then make a boundary that is at least 3X the tool diameter and the Opti-Rough will start outside the part and not try to cut insane amounts of air or ramp where it is not needed. To many people think the boundary has something to do with where it cuts and yes it is confusing as it can get, but with a stock model that defines the boundaries. What is really insane is if you don't define a stock model then you get insane toolpath also. Really have to know the process to get good toolpaths using Opti-Rough, but when you do then you see how powerful it is.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Use a stock model of the stock and then pick that as the one operation in the opti-rough. Then make a boundary that is at least 3X the tool diameter and the Opti-Rough will start outside the part and not try to cut insane amounts of air or ramp where it is not needed. To many people think the boundary has something to do with where it cuts and yes it is confusing as it can get, but with a stock model that defines the boundaries. What is really insane is if you don't define a stock model then you get insane toolpath also. Really have to know the process to get good toolpaths using Opti-Rough, but when you do then you see how powerful it is.

Yeah that's what I did once I made the boundary bigger it seem to help a lot

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, gcode said:

I'm going to try this

I'm working with mostly Catia models these days.

Some come in really clean, some are a mess... (create a curves on the edge of a circle and get 2 splines instead of a circle)

It must have something to do with the Catia driver's CAD settings and tolerances?

It would be nice if Simplify Solid would clean these up.

I haven't posted here in a long time. Glad to see familiar names still around.

I'm still getting my work from Catia drivers. When I was machining friction stir weld tools, I found arc centers off the tool centerline constantly. Came down to the method used to create the tool and probably tolerance settings. Mastercam dealer had 2 Catia converters and neither of them worked as well as STEP or .igs conversion for me. Always hated that end lines often don't meet and arcs are 2 splines. At this new job we convert using Solidworks.

Been reading page after page in this thread. I was using X9 daily until I was politicaly incorrect to the boss. Now I'm not running machines anymore, just programming only and trying to figure out where the commands I used so much are located in MC 2018. I'm so happy that this forum still exists and you all are posting here.

Glad to be back.

9 minutes ago, bogusmill said:

trying to figure out where the commands I used so much are located in MC 2018

welcome back... no time no see

In both MX2018 and 19 there is an icon in the default install called Command Finder

You can use it to find the new equivalent of the X9 command you're looking for.

You'll also think many of your old school toolpaths are gone in MC2018 and 19.

They are not gone, they just didn't get icons in the new interface.

You can access all of them via a right click in the toolpath manager.

• 4 weeks later...

OK.

Here is one I'm sure many of you do already.

One of my guys asked "how do you do that?" today.  

PLUSES OF OVERLAP

Thought everyone knew this one.     hole DIA - tool DIA  then multiply by Pi = circumference (length) of cutting-path.   

type all the math in the boxes  (Boxes can math)

This keeps a tool down inside a hole for as many revolutions (spring passes) as you want without coming off the part or retracting.

here I'm cutting a Ø.765 with a Ø.500 EM, set your overlap to (Ø.765-Ø.500)*Pi = .8325 overlap 1 revolution (spring pass)  

OT

I also use (Ø.765-Ø.500)/2 =  that sets as my lead in at center.  ( only cause i subtract the amount of stock allowed for multi passes or stock left. ) 

Untitled.thumb.png.f24d8d5122082ed6a1b1536b5fa46304.png

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

OK.

Here is one I'm sure many of you do already.

One of my guys asked "how do you do that?" today.  

PLUSES OF OVERLAP

Thought everyone knew this one.     hole DIA - tool DIA  then multiply by Pi = circumference (length) of cutting-path.   

type all the math in the boxes  (Boxes can math)

This keeps a tool down inside a hole for as many revolutions (spring passes) as you want without coming off the part or retracting.

here I'm cutting a Ø.765 with a Ø.500 EM, set your overlap to (Ø.765-Ø.500)*Pi = .8325 overlap 1 revolution (spring pass)  

OT

I also use (Ø.765-Ø.500)/2 =  that sets as my lead in at center.  ( only cause i subtract the amount of stock allowed for multi passes or stock left. ) 

Untitled.thumb.png.f24d8d5122082ed6a1b1536b5fa46304.png

Most paths now have spring passes in them which do this without leading off between passes in the finish multipass parameters.

They are in pocket, contour and circlemill

But, If you use an overlap in circle mill and spring pass the post will yell at you and tell you to call your dealer.

• 1 month later...

This really is a great thread to view! So, there isn't a 'regenerate screen' icon or function in any of the menus? I searched everywhere. When I bump up my chord height to view a crisper looking surface it never worked! The view was always the same. I figured I needed to regen screen but couldn't find it for the life of me.

So thank you, Rich Thomas! I never knew nor would have known "CTRL SHIFT R" regens screen! Viola! Now surf shading updates to the proper view when changing chord height!

A minor inconvenience but it has been bugging me!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/30/2015 at 6:12 PM, JAMMAN said:

This one might be sooooo obvious but if you are not using dynamic xform daily you are missing out on the one best feature of any release. It in my opinion is the single most useful drafting function in Mastercam and has replaced about every other move function except for mirror for me. Play with it, embrace it, you will end up loving it.

Your opinion

• Haha 2