Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

jlw™

This is one I use.  When analyzing a feature, you can type in new values for that feature.  If you click analyze entities or "F4" and then click on an arc, you can type in a new radius or diameter and hit enter.

I've found that's the fastest way to reposition points for drilling ops.  Select the point, hit <F4>, click the autocursor icon, snap to the new location.  Speeds up the use of template files.

In lathe when drawing profiles, I wish there was a way (is there?) to type angle-length or angle-diameter values using quick input. For example, if the first point of a line is (0,0), typing A50L30 would create a 50 degree line of 30 length. A50D100 would create a line that ends at diameter 100 and is angled 50 degrees.

As an anwher to the thread, when at lathe work, I use quick input a lot :)

In lathe when drawing profiles, I wish there was a way (is there?) to type angle-length or angle-diameter values using quick input. For example, if the first point of a line is (0,0), typing A50L30 would create a 50 degree line of 30 length. A50D100 would create a line that ends at diameter 100 and is angled 50 degrees.

As an anwher to the thread, when at lathe work, I use quick input a lot :)

You can do that. Select the "create line" tool. When it asks you for your first point, type in what you want, say X1Y1. Then hit enter and voila, your first point is at X1 Y1. Then hit A and type in your desired angle. Then hit L and type in your length. If you're in lathe D+ Z+, use D instead of X.

With any variety of quick mask, invert selection and Alt+E, you can do some pretty intricate selecting very quickly.

This plus throw in the "Invert selection" function. I use invert selection and alt-E daily.

I already threw it in. ;):laughing:

Change at point.  Right click on a chain in the Chain Manager, then change at point.  You can change speed, feed, insert a dwell, change coolant etc., and you can also do Manual entry as comment or as code.  Have any of you guys ever successfully used the Manual entry feature in Change at point?  I have never been able to use that feature.  Colin, do you know?

• Like 1

Change at point.  Right click on a chain in the Chain Manager, then change at point.  You can change speed, feed, insert a dwell, change coolant etc., and you can also do Manual entry as comment or as code.  Have any of you guys ever successfully used the Manual entry feature in Change at point?  I have never been able to use that feature.  Colin, do you know?

Works as it should for me.

TD=010060 M323

N60 (BORING BAR 3/4" SHANK)

M01

G00 Z.1354 M08 M175

G97 S251 M03

G95

X6.8477

G96 S450

G01 G41 X6.8477 Z.0354 F.007

X6.757 Z-.01

Z-.172

X3.52

(YO)

X3.5 Z-.182

Z-.73

X3.06

(WHAT UP DOG)

X3.04 Z-.74

Z-.835

Z-1.15

Z-1.54

X2.94

G40 X2.94 Z-1.44

G00 Z.1

M09

M174

M05

G97 S200

X60.

G20 HP=4

M01

It is most likely your Post Processor. Are you by chance using an "old" post that you have just been updating through the years? Either that, or you are not using the "With" option.

With Manual Entry in a Change at Point, the only option you can use is "With". That is because of the way Canned Text works by default. Of course if you modify your post, and move around the calls to Canned Text, then you can do what you want.

By Default, the Canned Text options are output through three different post block calls:

Before -> Calls 'pcan'.

With ----> Calls 'pcan1'

After ----> Calls 'pcan2'.

Both Before and After are setup to output a separate line of Canned Text. So each Before/After line will include a sequence number, then the canned text, then the end of line command (e$).

The With option is different. 'pcan1' is typically called at the start of each line of code output (prapidout, plinout, pcirout), and it's purpose in life is to build up a string of characters -> 'scantext'. This string, 'strcantext' is located at the end of the output lines, so your "Canned Text" gets output at the end of the line of code.

• Like 5

The BEST advice I can give to anyone using Mastercam is to take the time to set up all of your stuff:

Operation defaults

Tool speeds and feeds

Icon layouts (toolbar states)

And as said above, the right click menu

Once you do this your life will be SO much easier, although it does take quite a bit of time to set it up how you want.

• Like 9

It is most likely your Post Processor. Are you by chance using an "old" post that you have just been updating through the years? Either that, or you are not using the "With" option.

With Manual Entry in a Change at Point, the only option you can use is "With". That is because of the way Canned Text works by default. Of course if you modify your post, and move around the calls to Canned Text, then you can do what you want.

By Default, the Canned Text options are output through three different post block calls:

Before -> Calls 'pcan'.

With ----> Calls 'pcan1'

After ----> Calls 'pcan2'.

Both Before and After are setup to output a separate line of Canned Text. So each Before/After line will include a sequence number, then the canned text, then the end of line command (e$).

The With option is different. 'pcan1' is typically called at the start of each line of code output (prapidout, plinout, pcirout), and it's purpose in life is to build up a string of characters -> 'scantext'. This string, 'strcantext' is located at the end of the output lines, so your "Canned Text" gets output at the end of the line of code.

I'm using MPLMASTER from IHS for X6, using X6.

Hey ron how did you get the snap drop down menu there

To create it X9 takes some work but easily done. Go to Customize and then Context Menu. Scroll to the AutoCursor Category on the Right Side. Create your Separators in the Context Menu on the Right. (Trick here is to Right Click on the screen to get them to stick.) (Yes adding Separators can make you pull your hair out) Then Highlight what you want to be added to the context Menu. Then hit the Add Button in the Center. Then Highlight the added functions to the Context Menu and Right Click and click on the create sub menu. Now you will get a new Sub Menu you want to name. I have used SNAP for many years, but you can name it whatever you want.

• Like 2