Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

jlw™

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, So not a Guru said:

I'm sure I could benefit from a wider use of the keyboard shortcuts.

I'm positive that keyboard shortcuts are THE fastest way to do lings.

Take AutoCAD and their programmable PGP file.

L = Line

LA = Layer

CP = Copy

ER = Erase

MO = Move

ETC = Etcetera :D

• 1 month later...
On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, newbeeee said:

I'm positive that keyboard shortcuts are THE fastest way to do lings.

Take AutoCAD and their programmable PGP file.

L = Line

LA = Layer

CP = Copy

ER = Erase

MO = Move

ETC = Etcetera :D

I just discovered - not by accident at all - that in 2017 and 2018 you can use single alphanumeric keys to launch commands without the need to press ALT, CTRL or SHIFT.  You  can launch Wireframe Line Endpoints with the letter L for example.  But you might run into conflicts with certain combos.... for instance using E to launch Line Endpoints and then trying to use E again to use the Endpoint auto-cursor override doesn't work (although you could still use the auto-cursor drop-down menu).

• Like 1

Problem I've been going back and forth with CNC about is when using single keys other functions lose focus. Right now the only one I'm seeing is if you create a note and use one of the hot keys while typing the note it will dump you into the command.  Also when you create a new plane and try to name it  it will lose focus as well. Really the single key shortcuts are useless until/if they fix this. Frustrating to be so close.

Kevin K.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

2018 Propagate Arc Radius when using Analyze of arcs. Click 20 arcs you want all to be the same size that are different or bigger than what you want. Change the 1st one and the click on the Blue Icon that looks like a star to Propagate that size to the rest and done. Like ArcMultiEdit.dll expect you don't need to call the chook.

• Like 2
On 6/10/2017 at 4:30 PM, C^Millman said:

2018 Propagate Arc Radius when using Analyze of arcs. Click 20 arcs you want all to be the same size that are different or bigger than what you want. Change the 1st one and the click on the Blue Icon that looks like a star to Propagate that size to the rest and done. Like ArcMultiEdit.dll expect you don't need to call the chook.

****** BE CAUTIOUS WITH THIS: IF YOU USE IT TO CHANGE AN ENTITY IN A TOOLPATH IT WILL NOT MAKE THE TOOLPATH DIRTY ******

If you don't catch it and post your program without regenerating it, you'll end up cutting the previous value of the radius before you changed it.

• Like 1
On 13.6.2017 at 0:34 AM, maverquip said:

****** BE CAUTIOUS WITH THIS: IF YOU USE IT TO CHANGE AN ENTITY IN A TOOLPATH IT WILL NOT MAKE THE TOOLPATH DIRTY ******

If you don't catch it and post your program without regenerating it, you'll end up cutting the previous value of the radius before you changed it.

First I thought "what a nice feature" but then...geez, how do things like this get past qc?! If there's no time to fix a bug that could lead to catastrophic failures, then leave it out!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Regarding "DOES ANY BODY KNOWS IN 2018 WHERE THEY HAVE DISPLAY OPTIONS TO HIGHLIGHT GEOMETRY OF THE TOOL PATH. IT IS AVAILABLE IN 2017 BUT SOMEHOW THINK THEY HAVE CHANGED IT IN 2018. "

I am not sure if this was intended to replace the option, but in the Model Geometry, you can now set the color for the Machining geometry  and  the Avoidance geometry.

If you hide the dialog box, (or just drag it away in my case) you will see the colors on the part.

To  change the colors double click on them and the Colors dialog box will appear. 

To hide the  dialog box, select the Hide dialog icon located at the upper left corner.drag2.png.8f030b609202c7f025a682bbd58fcb06.png

drag.thumb.png.57511316cb77c564805c1ff2b5dc5999.png

• Like 1

I dont't think I saw this anywhere in this thread? the ability to right click/hold and drag a toolpath and copy before or after insert arrow has been a huge time saver for me over the years. All i have to do is go in and make minor changes such as geometry selection, tool angles, ect, ect.

• Like 1

I like to put notes in my operations. Makes it much easier to find a certain tool path when you need to edit it and also helps me or some else when running the program. Nice to know where your tool is going next. Well sometimes I forget and have to go back into the parameters and then to the tool tab where the note area is located. Discovered a much faster and easier way today. If you double click out in the operations type area it will open up a box like you are changing a name. Type your note in there and your done. It will appear in the note area on the tool tab in parameters. The click can be a little tricky to get used to. I found a slow click works best than a quick double. Works in bothe X9 and 2017.

I used that forever but as you said, slow click could be a little tricky sometimes but i noticed a nice improvement in 2018.

Now you can click on F2 key and it will replace slow clicking (as you can edit a cell in excel for example).  

1 hour ago, David Colin said:

I used that forever but as you said, slow click could be a little tricky sometimes but i noticed a nice improvemeny in 2018.

Now you can click on F2 key and it will replace slow clicking (as you can edit a cell in excel for example).  

I tell my guys that it's not a "double click" it's clicking on it twice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

2018 Suggestion Importing files and have the names shows show up on the levels before accepting the results. Click on the use current attributes and the names and number of entitles will populate to your levels manager. Then click again and they will go back to their original place and color, but now the levels they will be on and their names will show up in the levels manager. Yes a pain, but you have level 400 0 as your active level and expect the 30 to 100 solids to go to them it is again not knowing for sure. This way you can be sure all your merged solids go where you wanted them to in the 1st place.

Remember to click on the view/groups and delete all the new groups you got added to your file you didn't want in the 1st place. Trust me deleting them will save you a lot of grief.

• Like 1

I'm going to try this

I'm working with mostly Catia models these days.

Some come in really clean, some are a mess... (create a curves on the edge of a circle and get 2 splines instead of a circle)

It must have something to do with the Catia driver's CAD settings and tolerances?

It would be nice if Simplify Solid would clean these up.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I like to do is use viewsheets for each operation just save and bookmark it.  It makes creating and changing set up sheets incredibly easy. Click on the view sheet for that op and all your set up sheet part view is ready to go. No more going through levels and turning on vises or fixtures.