Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pitch in your little gems that make mcam life easier

jlw™

7 minutes ago, Ray D said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned a thousand times, but just in case, I use the "SHIFT" and click on a chain will hi-light the entire chain. I also use this to look for duplicate geometry and small gaps in the chain. 

I use this a lot myself, especially in lathe tool creation.

1 hour ago, jim1960 said:

Will you please explain how using the shift and clicking on a chin allow you to see " duplicate geometry and small gaps in the chain".

Thanks

Because the chain will stop at the duplicates. It basically won't highlight the duplicate.

Gaps, it all depends on where the gap is, Gaps are a little tougher to see using this method. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I never used the grid much before recently upgrading to Mcam 2018, but I do now. Comes in handy. Sometimes I turn it off, when desired. But...it does give me a visual aid. It's always aligned to the current Cplane and always moves up or down when changing Z depths. I have it set to: Spacing: X 0.25" Y 0.25", Origin: X0, Y0, Size: 1.0".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, and thanks for the good reading.

I like the key mapping.

The corner button beside the 1 with alt.  "`" I always assign to create line end points.

- alt period I use for modify trim / extend.

- alt + is for unhide some .

-alt - is set to hide more.

of coarse I like all the graphics views along the numbers too.

8 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

Hi all, and thanks for the good reading.

I like the key mapping.

The corner button beside the 1 with alt.  "`" I always assign to create line end points.

- alt period I use for modify trim / extend.

- alt + is for unhide some .

-alt - is set to hide more.

of coarse I like all the graphics views along the numbers too.

Depending on what kind of stuff you program, you can end up with a TON of custom hotkeys, but they are pretty big time savers, especially with the new ribbon bar, still not a fan. I've probably got 3 dozen or so assigned, everything from xfrom translate/rotate/etc to create new dynamic WCS.

I also have my more commonly used tool paths set up on the right click menu. Anything that works for you to reduce unnecessary movement of the mouse or extra keystrokes is worth setting up.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

I never thought of adding tool paths to it, I like the idea.

I tried this early on in the X evolution, I found that with them already being on the RMB when your cursor is in the OP Manager that it was, for me at least, a bit of overkill, so they were eventually removed from my created menu

1 hour ago, JParis said:

I tried this early on in the X evolution,

funny, I missed most of the X revolution. pretty well jumped from V9.1 to 2017 /18 . I started with V6 !

I am liking the new stuff better than the x series. I find it easier to locate the stuff I want.

I told that old boss to up grade ALREADY lol!

thx for the comment J.

On 12/9/2015 at 12:13 PM, Tomarik said:

When using "Hide", if you have any geometry selected on the screen, this becomes your "displayed" geometry, and everything else is temporarily hidden. Pressing ALT + E again, un-hides everything.

alt+ to uhide more and alt- to hide more. these used to be there,,with 2018 I had to add them with keymapping. handy stuff to have!

On 4/29/2016 at 8:34 AM, David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc. said:

Use the  'ctrl' button to temporarily disable the autocursor when you simply don;t want it snapping to anything.

That is what I've been looking for. thx.

I even asked Tech support, to no avail.

Subject: auto curser lock toggle

"Good morning

I hope all is well today.

I am wondering how to disable the auto cursor . To enter “sketch mode” has been elusive.

Thx

Steve S"

lots has changed since V-9 lol

Thank you !!!

15 minutes ago, Dan_AKA_ROY said:

I started with V9, Steve. I loved it. Loved the X series and the newer interface is great, also. (I like Mastercam  lol)

V6 Here.......(The only CAD software I've used!)  I :wub: Mastercam!

• Like 1