Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mutli-Axis Link Old School to Unwind a Head-Head Knuckle

crazy^millman

Time to time I run into parts on machines where I don't want to let the post unwind the head. I think it sloppy to program this way and every move should be programmed and controlled by the programmer not the post. Ran into such example of this today and here is the geometry used to make the curve 5 Axis operation unwind from one operation to another. I like to use colors to help me sort through the index moves between the start angle and end angle. I will try to explain the process here. 

#1 Take your the 1st operation to link and the 2nd operation to link and backplot them.

#2 Then use the save to geometry button inside of the backplot. Need the approach move of the 2nd operation.

#3 Delete all the unneeded geometry.

#4 Draw a Circle at the top of the Retract move. Normally this will show up as one vector line. Want to be in Top view for this example. Make sure set to 2D and the Z height at set to the top of the Vector. The Center of the circle is the bottom of the Vector and the Radius is the top of the Vector.

#5 Xform Rotate (Yes can use dynamic) to rotate as many lines as needed to be the control lines for the unwind process. (This example used 21 lines for the toolpath though only 19 copies were rotated around the center of the arc. Start and End Vector line are the same in this example, but the End line should be on the same Vector as the 2nd Operation) (Optional to change the colors of the lines to help sort them later)

#6 The Rapid line from one operation to the other will be the Curve 5 Axis line. Use Create point segments and that number needs to be +1 to what ever amount of Tool Axis Vector lines rotated in Step #5. (In this example notice 21 points and the Vectors from both operations are the same)

#7 Xform Translate (Yes can use dynamic) to either move or copy. I did copy so I can track which ones where moved along the chain. Then take each Tool Axis Vector and move/copy to the point that position represents. The example has the Start and End Vector the same, but could use the end vector from the 2nd operation like mentioned before.

This example unwinds in clockwise direction, but this process can be use for any angle and pretty much and machine to control winds and unwinds using toolpaths and not a Post Processor that gets lost from time to time. Exact control and hopefully we see this kind of control in Multi-Axis linking in the further.

I also like to set my Plane to the Vector using the Plane by Normal option so that the backplot and the operation done add an extra index move into the operation that shouldn't be there.

Anyone is free to use this at will and how ever they see fit, but use at your own risk and 5th Axis Consulting is not responsible for damage or issues that arise from using this example.

Dropbox link added

• Like 3

Bump.

Here is another way to unwind a head when the tool is down and you want to unwind without having to do a huge spin of an axis.

Anyone is free to use this at will and however they see fit, but use at your own risk and 5th Axis Consulting is not responsible for damage or issues that arise from using this example.

Replaced Forum Download with Dropbox link

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well ran into this situation again. I took my 1st example and was able to use it along an arc move and get the head unwind. I took and created 23 points for the 21 positions on the example. I then dynamically transformed then to each of the points. Took me about 15 minutes and I had a nice ballet of 5 axis motion that not only positions the tool from one place to the other, but then also unwinds the heads to be in the position it needs. Hopefully these examples come in handy for some of those doing router work or others working on limited C Axis knuckle head machines.

Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu5r4yr17tgio7r/5AXIS%20UNWIND%203.mcam?dl=0