Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Excessive Computation Time of Remaing Stock

savagemachines

I am on maintenance and called tech support. They are out trying to figure out what is wrong but I need to play check up this weekend. I only have Level 2 with solids not full 3d. Yes I know a solution can be found with other tool paths. I just feel as if I am getting sold 3/4 of lb of sugar and not the lb I was promised when it comes to the software.

The file crashes my computer right now on calculations.

Ok I am trying to to a rest machining operation on first 4 tool paths

cmx26m0002.mcx-9

The toolpath you are using there is a level 1 toolpath. Of course in X9 it's now just considered mill. Honestly you have the right toolpath I would just adjust how you are using it. Even on my laptop it took 30 minutes to generate. In order for it to generate it first needs to read the four paths that come before it and evaluate what they did to the stock. If you look that was most of the time. Once it knew that the path took no time at all.

You are getting the whole pound of sugar as you say, now it's up to you to figure out the best way to use it.

Try this instead.....on 2D paths I generally prefer to use the tool size to base rest mills on, if I have multiple tools I use the smallest tool as the tool size since it should have gotten into all of the areas that it could have

I made a stock model with comparison set to the model, after OP4 to see where stock actually remained

2015-11-07_8-26-39_zpsxleunodc.jpg

Then I changed this setting

2015-11-07_8-28-25_zpsvobyo2sj.jpg

Regen took less than 10 seconds

2015-11-07_8-27-57_zpssywes6gt.jpg

and compared the path against the remaining stock...looks good to me

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5cjx1wsoiqrmwg/JP_cmx26m0002.mcx-9?dl=0

When I use 2D restmill paths I find that if I say that Im using a cutter that is .010 or so bigger than what the actual last cutter I used was it tends to pick up the areas it should where as if I tell it the actual tool size and regen it hit and misses areas I know that need a smaller cutter run through it still. so say Im using a .250 cutter as my driving tool for my restmill op. I will call it out as a .260or .265 just to make sure MC sees everything that needs to be re machined with my next smaller cutter plus a bonus is this provides just a hair more of a lead in on the re machine cuts .. this is just how I have had best success with restmill ops. your geo and pathing techniques will determine the end results you wish to achieve.  HTH..