Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

$$ in old post and update post log file

Hi,

I was given some posts last run in X3 to try and update.

Most of the messages in the log file were pretty straight forward.

I did come across some things I haven't seen before;

There is one line proceeded with $$ calling pindex that shows an error.

When i look through the post there are multiple lines with this same $$, but all of them are commented out like this "#$$".

I'm guessing this is an older version of commenting?  

The other strange thing is that this error wasn't listed in the update log file?  

If I search for CNC<,  I do come across some other error messages a couple them were also not in the log file.

None of them seem critical and were easy to investigate, but i was under the impression if the log didn't mention any problems, the conversion process went ok.

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 1

Hi,

I was given some posts last run in X3 to try and update.

Most of the messages in the log file were pretty straight forward.

I did come across some things I haven't seen before;

There is one line proceeded with $$ calling pindex that shows an error.

When i look through the post there are multiple lines with this same $$, but all of them are commented out like this "#$$".

I'm guessing this is an older version of commenting?  

The other strange thing is that this error wasn't listed in the update log file?  

If I search for CNC<,  I do come across some other error messages a couple them were also not in the log file.

None of them seem critical and were easy to investigate, but i was under the impression if the log didn't mention any problems, the conversion process went ok.

Thanks,

Dan

When the "Update" process is run on your post, the utility will "comment out" any lines that it can't recognize as being "valid" post code. So the update utility likely added the pound signs to try and remove the code that won't run. If you take the output of your Log file, and upload it to this thread (use the "Code" option), then I can help you further diagnose the issues.

When the update process encounters an "error" in your post file, it will do two things:

1. It will leave the "original" code line, with a "comment" showing you what originally existed, and,

2. It will create a "comment error message" below the commented out line, that describes the error that was found.

Here is an example where I added some "bad" code in a X8 post, then updated to X9. (I created a "user defined" variable, but added a dollar sign to the end.)

fmt     4   my_var$
#CNC<<ORIGINAL>>fmt     4   my_var$
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(594)>> Dollar Sign ('$') found terminating user defined variable/string/postblock

So in this case, the update utility added the two error reporting lines, but also left the original "fmt" statement in the post...

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

Most of the errors were due to someone commenting out all of the error messages so every mention of them was a undefined label.

The error I was concerned about was in the log, I just didn't notice it right away.

Log Message was:

37 - 09 Nov 2015 04:21:38 PM - PST LINE (972) - The post block output type processing has failed!, , Illegal character(s) encountered

The spot in the updated post looked like this:

#CNC<<ORIGINAL>>
        pindex
#CNC<<ORIGINAL>>     $$ pindex
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(972)>> The post block output type processing has failed!, , Illegal character(s) encountered

When I go in look in the backup copy of the original post it really had this:

$$ pindex
      sav_absinc = absinc$

When I look through the original post there are multiple lines with the $$, but all of the other ones have a # sign preceding the double dollars -  #$$.

At first I thought maybe the "$$" was a old method used for comments, but I didn't see it referenced in the post documentation.  Maybe someone was putting it in their comment sections to make it easy to search for?

Anyways - the post seem ok.  No more errors although I still don't know how it was getting by the $$pindex in the original version?

Thanks for the reply,

Dan

• Like 1