Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using Haas with probe to map surfaces

Depends on what Renishaw package you have.

I doubt it to be honest but you could set a grid and collect points on Z based on that grid. Then do a ton of CAD work to plot those points, draw circles the size of the probe ball and then create a surface.

How accurate do you need to be?

• Like 1

Depends on what Renishaw package you have.

I doubt it to be honest but you could set a grid and collect points on Z based on that grid. Then do a ton of CAD work to plot those points, draw circles the size of the probe ball and then create a surface.

How accurate do you need to be?

I did that years ago with am old Bridgeport Series II with a Heidenhein control.  I used a drop indicator and programmed an incremental move everytime I pressed start, then I would write down the XYZ coordinates, and input them into a  CAD package, we were copying shoe sole molds for a company that made composite inserts.  Then I would inport the points cloud on Rhino3D and create the surface.  Im just trying to avoid having to do that.  Its not super accurate, its for something Im doing for myself, not a customer.

I have done this and suggest it:

Program the surface and use an indicator instead of ball mill. Zero it and watch it trace the surface to see if it's within acceptable range.

Don't know if it will fit your situation but I've done that to "inspect" a lot.

I have done this and suggest it:

Program the surface and use an indicator instead of ball mill. Zero it and watch it trace the surface to see if it's within acceptable range.

Don't know if it will fit your situation but I've done that to "inspect" a lot.

What Im trying to is to reverse engineer an existing part, not inspect it.  

I'd start by checking to see if you have the Macros option. I think it's parameter 57 ENABLE MACRO, which should be set to 1. Also turn off Setting 69 DPRNT Leading Spaces

Which DNC software do you use? Are you comfortable with computers?

Your probe program will have the regular probing cycles but you will also need to use the DPRNT statement to write text to the serial terminal. It is also possible to use G102 to output the current work coordinates. 

Check out this manual, reference page 106:

http://feinmech.iap.uni-bonn.de/_pdf/masch26.pdf

I'd start by checking to see if you have the Macros option. I think it's parameter 57 ENABLE MACRO, which should be set to 1. Also turn off Setting 69 DPRNT Leading Spaces.

Which DNC software do you use? Are you comfortable with computers?

Your probe program will have the regular probing cycles but you will also need to use the DPRNT statement to write text to the serial terminal. It is also possible to use G102 to output the current work coordinates.

Check out this manual, reference page 106:

http://feinmech.iap.uni-bonn.de/_pdf/masch26.pdf

Very good point.

I prefer to let dprint write to memory vs dnc because in my experience it gives format errors and then you have to doctor the text file. Then get the file out however you want.

Idk if you can import points into mcam like that but I greatly prefer mcam over old school acad any day.

It may seem overwhelming at first but I promise you can do it and then when you do you'll find yourself applying the same principles every where you can. I probe and write results to a file all the time. I have some of my probe programs writing and people don't even know it, some times its good to see what time something was probed or how many times it was probed. Valuable info when you come in and 3rd shift has killed a ton of parts.