Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Defining Saw tool? Or changing cutting egde?

cosmc2079

I seem to be having troubles getting a saw toolpath to work. Im trying to cut horizontal slices out of a block with a saw blade and i want my toolpath to plunge from the side (it is a saw, so naturally...), but mastercam is treating my saw as an endmill (i created a new slotting tool) also its keeping the entire face of the saw tangent to my surfaces, when it should keep the saw edge tangent to the surfaces.

Is there a way to change this? How do i get mastercam to treat my tool as a saw blade rather than an endmill.

Im relatively new to mastercam so i apologize if there is some obvious solution, but i cant seem to find any information.

Thank you!

• Like 1

What tool path are you using? I have no trouble using contour and setting lead in/out to safe parameters.

You can also use poins and tell it to start and end on points.

Try playing with lead in/out to see what you get.

If you upload a file some one will fix it for you.

Im trying to use Multiaxis parallel cuts. I've got an STL model of a statue. and im cutting it out of marble, i want to use a saw to do roughing by cutting slices upto the stl model, and when the tool path finishes i will manually hammer away the thin sheets of marble to reveal sort of a rogh core.

Here is sort of an example of what im talking about:

i Want to cut into my stone and limit it to the stl model inside the block, so the blade will be moving around the model on the XY plane. When it finishes this path, it should plunge -10mm on Z outisde the material, then plunge into the material on XY plane to cut the next slice, and so on. I need to do basically the toolpath seen in the youtube video i linked.

Since it is STL Mastercam doesn't handle working with it very well IMHO. Add the Verisurf add on and you can do some pretty amazing things with the stl. I am a Christan and since it seems it may be a women's naked upper body I will not download the file to review it.

I have attached link to a sample file from Verisurf that is a bunny with slices made from the stl using the slice tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tw7qy855xmph5g/BUNNY%20SLICED.mcx-9?dl=0

I have looked at your file and you are on the right path. The fact that it is an STL is what is causing you issues. Do you have the option to import it in as surfaces? 

I figured it was the STL causing me problems. I do have the option to make this STL surfaces but it is pretty tricky. This 'Girl Bust' STL is just for the purpose of this forum (smaller file size), my real STLs are far more complex, and creating surfaces on those files are almost impossible for my (Geomagic) skill level, or not time efficient.

I'm now considering drawing a rough surface shape (For example a bubble roughly the shape of my STL) that i can use for this toolpath were talking about, to get the material down to a workable dimension.

If you would be so kind, please look at these toolpaths I've created. The third toolpath i have added 50 mm to leave on drive. Why is it also offsetting in the positive Z direction?

SLICES.MCX-7

Since it is STL Mastercam doesn't handle working with it very well IMHO. Add the Verisurf add on and you can do some pretty amazing things with the stl. I am a Christan and since it seems it may be a women's naked upper body I will not download the file to review it.

I have attached link to a sample file from Verisurf that is a bunny with slices made from the stl using the slice tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tw7qy855xmph5g/BUNNY%20SLICED.mcx-9?dl=0

I dont have X9 yet unfortunately, i will soon. Although i have downloaded Verisurf for X7, what exactly is the slice tool your referring to called?

Also, there are no nude private parts in this file. Just some naked shoulders! Sorry, the word bust is misleading.