Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to set MasterCAM on a 4K screen?

chun yu

Well not sure why you would not touch windows 10 as it is nothing like Windows 8. it is only better. but there were people that fought windows 7 to. Then they made the move and now fight 10.

I have gotten really comfortable running windows 10 for sure. I did not embrace 8 though. kept an extra computer with Win 8 if I had to check or test something. but I hated it.

Jmtc

• Like 1

Personally I won't touch Windows 10 with a ten foot pole

I upgraded to Win10 only to experience screen resolution problems.  That might be the problem for you, chun yu.  Our IT guy at work said to wait to upgrade until Microsoft issues its first service release.  Then maybe some of the drivers incompatibility issues will be cleared.

I upgraded to Win10 only to experience screen resolution problems.  That might be the problem for you, chun yu.  Our IT guy at work said to wait to upgrade until Microsoft issues its first service release.  Then maybe some of the drivers incompatibility issues will be cleared.

What resolution issues are you having?  Or better question, what resolution are you running your monitors at?

I can't find it right now but I know this has been discussed before, either on here or on the Mastercam forum. If I remember correctly Mastercam doesn't really support 4K monitors yet and it's impossible to get the fonts to work right. Can anyone else remember this discussion?

Kevin K.

Well not sure why you would not touch windows 10 as it is nothing like Windows 8. it is only better. but there were people that fought windows 7 to. Then they made the move and now fight 10.

I have gotten really comfortable running windows 10 for sure. I did not embrace 8 though. kept an extra computer with Win 8 if I had to check or test something. but I hated it.

Jmtc

Because win10 is a disgusting invasion of your privacy is what I would say.

• Like 1

Can you show a screenshot? I run a 4k monitor with X9 on Windows 7 and it looks great. I do have 20/12 vision though and my monitor is 39" . which may make the icons a little larger and easier to see. What size is your 4K?

I have gotten so used to having the extra resolution it would be very hard to go back to 1080P now. It would be like going from two monitors back to one again.

Kevin C.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've got the same problem the register editing thing seems really strange.  I don't know what I'd be telling Windows to do and how that might effect other things going on.  Maybe mastercam should just make it work when they know 4K monitors and windows 10 exist.  when I scale, all that scales are the gnomons and text in two areas on the screen.  The toolpath editor does not scale.  

I tried the regedit thing, it didn't work. I still have the microscopic items in managers.   The recommended help topic on Mastercam's knowledge base makes the screen blurred and essentially removes the benefit of the screen resolution and makes the screen lower resolution than a previous generation monitor on 2020.  

I reached out to Orvie Smith at NC Solutions.  He was able to help me figure it out.  Files options > Options> click large icons, Files> configuration>screen scale 2.5 worked for me, then toolpath manager, little drop arrow in top right corner, font, change font size got the tiny toolpath text fixed.  

That only took like 3 hours to figure out.  The regetit thing didn't work, and the mastercam knowledge base topic was a path to pixelated and foggy display of large icons and text. 

The program is still pretty messed up even with those edits.  So many things are out of size, it's fairly obvious it's not really compatible with 4K.

1980 x 1040 gets me all the information I need to program anything I am doing. I turn the screen resolution to .1 on some Mastercam files. What a 4K monitor might show is not worth all the frustration I keep seeing everyone talk about trying to use 4k monitors with Mastercam. We cannot even get the tools pages sizeable in milling toolpaths or the old school milling toolpaths updated to the new style interface and people seriously think 4k monitors are going to be properly supported? 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

1980 x 1040 gets me all the information I need to program anything I am doing. I turn the screen resolution to .1 on some Mastercam files. What a 4K monitor might show is not worth all the frustration I keep seeing everyone talk about trying to use 4k monitors with Mastercam. We cannot even get the tools pages sizeable in milling toolpaths or the old school milling toolpaths updated to the new style interface and people seriously think 4k monitors are going to be properly supported? 

This was why HP was wanting to make 5K monitors. It is a more native view ratio than 4k. 4k was very poorly thought out. Obviously, 8K is another step in the wrong direction. But, 8k does make 4k cheaper.

• 9 months later...