Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grob & Hypermill

Those are some amazing machines. I would love to program one some day. I wouldn't mind checking out Hypermill just so I can compare. Its always good to know what competing software can do when you're in a position like mine. Some times I need to sell Mastercam's capabilities as well as my own ability.

I looked into adding a Grob to my shop and there were two things I didn't really like about it.  1st is that the Z-axis linear guides are exposed to the work envelope which I would never be comfortable with and 2nd is that the base is a weldment and not a casting.  They look like really solid machines though, but would the Z-axis guides be shot after 10 years due to being exposed, or could a blue steel chip somehow find its way in there and get wedged, scrapping the slide?  Made me nervous...

1st is that the Z-axis linear guides are exposed to the work envelope which I would never be comfortable with and 2nd is that the base is a weldment and not a casting.  They look like really solid machines though, but would the Z-axis guides be shot after 10 years due to being exposed, or could a blue steel chip somehow find its way in there and get wedged, scrapping the slide?  Made me nervous...

My thoughts exactly. Exposing linear rails to chips can't be a good thing over time. I don't care how good the wipers are...eventually, a chip will get in there.

I could likely get over the exposed rails, they are at least relatively cheap and easy to replace. But the welded frame worries me the most. Both for dampening and maintaing square over the working envelope long term, seems like it would be problematic. But I'd really like to see how they work out long term. I love the layout.

Bob, do you have any ballpark pricing on these machines?

I could likely get over the exposed rails, they are at least relatively cheap and easy to replace. But the welded frame worries me the most. Both for dampening and maintaing square over the working envelope long term, seems like it would be problematic. But I'd really like to see how they work out long term. I love the layout.

I never did get a formal quote, but the off-the-cuff quote from the rep was ~$750k for a 500mm cell.

Thanks. I know Chris and I know they had their share of problems and I from what I have been told they still use Mastercam in their shop. Like some shops they have multiple CAM. 

Yes some think being a complete bad mouthier is the way to help things. To each their own I have seen many through out the years those that think the way to build themselves up is tearing others down and point out others faults. Problem with point your finger at someone there are 4 more pointing back at you. I realized a long time ago I am not perfect and be the 1st one to admit my mistakes and faults. I find an issue I try to work with the company or person to get it addressed. I have made my share of famous rants, but realized in the long run it gets you no where. Do your best and do the best job you can do and that will always bring you out on top. Helping and teaching others with sharing of your knowledge has always served me well and I will keep doing it the crazy way thinking of others.

• Like 1

Hmmm, weldment (plate steel) is obviously stronger than cast, but obviously nowhere near as 'dead' for damping.

Long term - I'd be worried about stress relief over time - so geometrically the frame may 'move'?

And yes, exposed rails can't be 1st choice. Even a concertina type cover would be better than nowt?

Long term - I'd be worried about stress relief over time - so geometrically the frame may 'move'?

Exactly what I was trying to get at. I'm not sure how you could overcome it, but maybe they have? You would think if they used a tubular structure and some sort of medium to fill the hollow parts of the structure you might be able gain both the desired dampening and resistance to stress relieve over time.

As for exposed ways. It's seemingly a common thing with some of the German MTB's. I'd be curious to hear their logic on it.

• 1 year later...

Grob makes a badass machine and 840D is my personal favorite control.  I've seen Grobs, Hellers, Boringer and a plethera of other maker's machines pound out part for years.  High production, non stop, 7 days a week.  I guess my personal experience is just different.

14 hours ago, BenK said:

What issues have you had with the Siemens control? I would take an 840D control any day.

Actually, half trolling and half quoting a friend that's not super-impressed with all the Grob functionality/complexity all rolled into one machine. Correct me if wrong but, i'm thinking, this specific machine the we both aware of has turning function too.

-old second hand info.

Haas FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!