Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help. How to create a 90 degree facemill in mastercam??????

david3709

Hello, everyone.

I am using mastercam for a while. When I tried to use a 90degree facemill to do a contour toolpath, but mastercam tool library only offers 45degree facemill, I tried to modify to 90degree facemill, but it does not accept, always say wrong.

How can I create a 90degree facemill?

Please help me of this problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

as others have said use 0 deg, not 90. And on a side note, if you want to make it even easier to define, don't use a face mill tool, use a bull mill. I define all square shoulder face mills as bull mills personally as they are easier to define and you can still name them face mill when naming.

• Like 1

as others have said use 0 deg, not 90. And on a side note, if you want to make it even easier to define, don't use a face mill tool, use a bull mill. I define all square shoulder face mills as bull mills personally as they are easier to define and you can still name them face mill when naming.

The thing I hate about doing that is you lose the ability to filter by facemill when selecting a tool.

• Like 1

I've never had luck doing that. For some reason it will work when I define it, but if I go back to it later it will lose its definition and freak out. I have to put a .005 rad to get it to stick.

interesting... I have 3 different 2" facemills defined like this and have never had that happen. It must be the mastercam ghosts :)

I should go back and put insert radius on just so it matches the real tool.

In order to get it to work properly for a 90 deg facemill you need to make sure of some things:

If you are using a corner radius value you must add 2x the radius value to your "Secondary diameter". In other words, if you have a 2.0 "cutting diameter"  and a .03" radius your "secondary diameter" must be 2.06".

Your shoulder length must be less than the overall length.

Your upper diameter should be less than your cutting diameter.

Keep in mind MC uses the "Secondary diameter" (not the "cutting diameter") as the calculation for toolpaths with facemills when contouring against shoulders in verify.

Thanks a lot  for all, my friends.

Very good suggestions for this problem.

I always use 90 degree facemill for doing contour path before using endmill. This is saying endmill and saving time.

Just like using a 1'' cylinder to cut a rectangle, 0.38''*0.8'', it is fast way to cut by facemill, especially using for 303/304 stainless steel.

Anyway. Thanks again.