Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam is laughing at me. (Cutter comp)

barnaby thomas

I never really found a reason to use helix bore. I use circle mill all the time. What is the reasons you would want helix bore vs circle mill.

One helixes and one doesn't. lol Pretty straight forward. 

If you have a solid piece of steel and you need a pocket, and you're using the endmill for it, helix down to depth, then finish the pocket. Circle mill in this instance wouldn't work.

Circle mill is ok if you have a pre drilled hole.

If you have a solid piece of steel and you need a pocket, and you're using the endmill for it, helix down to depth, then finish the pocket. Circle mill in this instance wouldn't work.

Both of these tool paths Helix for the entry. Circle Mill has a Helical Entry option, but you have to enable it...

• Like 1

We're not talking about Helix for entry, its about Helix toolpath...

I use helix bore frequently,

Set it to force a start at center, comp in wear, output arcs in I,J,K (have to with 3D arcs)

I like to use a 45deg sweep for entry

I like the option to set a roughing and finish pass with feed & speed override in the same tpath

If you want to have the option to set the circle dia in the cut parameters you need to select a point with no arc associated to that location (if there is a arc visible that uses that point as it's center the tpath is going to lock on to it)

If it needs to be more accurate than a circular interpolated hole maybe a boring head should be used

Don't try to use a 0.500 emill to cut a 0.5005 hole (tried it just to see, didn't work so good)

$0.02

• Like 2

Ok, Ive never used Helix Bore, always Countour Ramp...for xxxxs and giggles, and because we're nothing if we dont learn from others, I just tried a Helix Bore and I like it.  It seems faster to program than the Ramp and I have as much control, so I stand corrected.  But I do have a question, why is it that the finish pass starts at the bottom?  What am I missing?

Ok, Ive never used Helix Bore, always Countour Ramp...for xxxxs and giggles, and because we're nothing if we dont learn from others, I just tried a Helix Bore and I like it.  It seems faster to program than the Ramp and I have as much control, so I stand corrected.  But I do have a question, why is it that the finish pass starts at the bottom?  What am I missing?

There is a drop down menu in the finish parameters that allows you to set the finish to run top to bottom.

I haven't tried it but if you were using a inserted cutter that's contacting on a single point you could run the finish bottom to top.

Helix bore is great with mask on arc set. On jobs with alot of holes. Contour not so fast. Window hole plate and it will grab every one you set up in your mask.

Ok,ok, we're talkin' about circle mill tpaths, but,...

Have you tried using feature chain when selecting similar geom for contour tpaths?

post-14333-0-63339100-1450289730_thumb.jpg

a caveat on Control Comp

the backplot results you see in Mastercam may or may not reflect what you get on the machine

Mastecam can only estimate how the machine will respond and has no idea what value the operator

will set in the offset tables

as a rule of thumb you should make sure you have a straight leadin /leadout move of at least 55%

of the intended tool diameter

+1 ref the 55% for the line/rad in leadin/leadout

We have our defaults set for this and have never had a prob on a fanuc