Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I found an issue !!

Robert Barton

In X9, with the latest service pack, I think it #3 I have found a Problem

When I go to modify a solid, say put a hole in the solid I go to Solid Extrude, in the Basic tab there are 3 "Types"

Create body

Cut body

Add boss

It seems that Add boss actually does what Cut body should do and vise versa

Took me a while to figure out how to get a hole in the part rather than a boss

To get my hole in the Solid I had to click Add boss

Nope,

Been creating solids of varying complexity.....surely have not seen what you describe

Just built a complete tombstone all in Mastercam X9 latest and greatest

Definitely an issue on your end...

Do you have a file to share?

Yes it does indeed look like your solid is a little buggy.

I even removed history and it does exactly what you are saying.....

I wouldn't worry about it....just go with it....seems like I ran across that once a while back.

I even exported the solid out as a step and tried another extrude cut....

It is definitely the way you created the solid that bugged it out....

But you are absolutely correct...it is a bug somewhere....

Thanks for sharing this because once it is bugged there is no fixing it...

maybe the only way to fix it is to export it out as a generic iges then stitch the generic surfaces back into a solid...

I didn't try exporting as a parasolid though maybe that will strip all the funked up solid tabbs off it...

• Like 1

That solid was originally from Catia, then saved as a STP file.  The original Catia file had no holes in it, only points.

The Catia model is why there is no history for it in Mastercam, except for my 2 holes that I added at the Catia points. (.098)

I don't think this is a Mastercam issue because the problem happened first in X7, so I thought ok, I'll just use X9 and it has the same issues.  (I normally use X9)

Just a simple part, the reason for all this is they moved the location of those 2 holes.

Thanks

Using the check solid feature, this is what I found

When it was either designed, the method used or when it was translated out, something happened to the model.

The model is inside out

inside%20out_zpsumnnubtg.png

"The model is inside out" Haven't seen this one before.

Robert,

As JParis found the solid face directions are pointing inward causing the solid to be "inside out". A way you can fix this is to convert the solid to surfaces and then convert the surfaces back into a solid.

I saw this many years ago....CadKey had a feature to fix this. CadKey...yes many years....

I saw this many years ago....CadKey had a feature to fix this. CadKey...yes many years....

I thought I was the only person to ever used CadKey! I use to love that software!  To me it was better than AutoCad!  We used AutoCad in high school(drafting class) but where my dad used to work they gave him a copy of CadKey and thats what I used when we opened our shop.  Back then we were on MC V4.

I've been doing this a long time and have never seen this, but it's really there!

I was able to get just that Solid to open in a Parasolid tool we have here and I was able to turn it back right-side out.

The corrected solid is attached in the form of a Parasolid .X_T file.

X.zip

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
  • Like 1

Catia translators are a weird bugger. I have seen this before from a step file I got. I found out when I went to put a tool path to some surfaces and the tool path ended up inside the solid. I thought the op had failed initially.

As for CadKey, I loved that software. Used that and Fastsurf to design molds. Very powerful software. Still have a seat of Cadkey at home, full solids and surfaces.

• Like 1

Catia translators are a weird bugger. I have seen this before from a step file I got. I found out when I went to put a tool path to some surfaces and the tool path ended up inside the solid. I thought the op had failed initially.

As for CadKey, I loved that software. Used that and Fastsurf to design molds. Very powerful software. Still have a seat of Cadkey at home, full solids and surfaces.

ya I remember now it was a Catia file I had problems with.

I made a mold from a model once and the customer wanted to do some changes to the model and it was doing weird stuff like this.

The model would not do a mold split from the mold block...I had to convert to surfaces in Proe and solidify those surfs to make the mold...

Even tried messing with in Mastercam and couldn't get anything to work..

Couldn't even make a cut on the original model....never figured out what it was....but Ill bet it was inside out like this one was...