Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Large workpiece fixturing and work supports, sources?

Does any one have any suppliers of workholding components for LARGE parts?  I am needing some generic fixturing components instead of having to make everything.  At this exact moment I need some very large jack screw like the ones we made in trade school except scaled up to support/level a workpiece that weighs around 20,000lbs.  I'd really like to find some that could potentially go up to 80,000lbs if ever needed.  I can't find anything commercially available.  The closest I've found are Carr-Lane and they are just way to dinky.  It'd make life much easier to not have to shim and shim and shim setups.  Especially on weldments.

I'd have a few designs in mind but there again I have to make them.  I need to buy some.

Links to websites would be great!

TIA

Does any one have any suppliers of workholding components for LARGE parts?  I am needing some generic fixturing components instead of having to make everything.  At this exact moment I need some very large jack screw like the ones we made in trade school except scaled up to support/level a workpiece that weighs around 20,000lbs.  I'd really like to find some that could potentially go up to 80,000lbs if ever needed.  I can't find anything commercially available.  The closest I've found are Carr-Lane and they are just way to dinky.  It'd make life much easier to not have to shim and shim and shim setups.  Especially on weldments.

I'd have a few designs in mind but there again I have to make them.  I need to buy some.

Links to websites would be great!

TIA

Hmmm... I'll watch this thread, but honestly, having done a lot of big work up to 80,000 lbs. myself, I can't picture anyone making modular fixturing for parts that big... seems like you need to mill soft blocks unique to every set up and just build around the part from there.

Hmmm... I'll watch this thread, but honestly, having done a lot of big work up to 80,000 lbs. myself, I can't picture anyone making modular fixturing for parts that big... seems like you need to mill soft blocks unique to every set up and just build around the part from there.

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now. So far I've cut up some 10in and 12in roundstock and had fab weld us up some "pedestals" and I keep having to make and make and on a machine that size "time is money" is multiplied by the size.

I haven't had a repeat part yet, its all weldments and huge castings. The weldments come in better because our fab guys are jam up. What I need more than anything is some way to level besides a jack and shim, even with milling work supports I still need some leveling here and there.

Blimey you are doing some big work. With that mass and gravity against you, I wouldn't want to get my pinky caught!

I've seen some machine movers that had hydraulic jacks but with an integral 'click rack' as well. That way if the hydraulics came down too fast (or failed), it could only drop to the rack. This was a long time ago and gawd knows who they were from.

Also, we were talking of 'only' 10/12 ton machines...