Rocketmachinist

Mastercam 2017

Ribbons are nice once you get used to them. CIMCO V8 is totally ribbon based as well.

• Like 1

So, I just downloaded it and the download page made me wonder about something.

What are "power libraries"?

So, I just downloaded it and the download page made me wonder about something.

What are "power libraries"?

for wire EDM

Thanks G!  I now have the levels and planes separate from the op mgr.

The panels can also be "torn" off and stacked on top of each one.  I like to stack the Levels manager and Planes manager on top of one another.

Ribbons are nice once you get used to them. CIMCO V8 is totally ribbon based as well.

will Cimco V8 be out soon? they're website still shows V7.

for wire EDM

Ah, that'd be why I have no clue.

Change itself is neither good nor bad. For example, if your drive to work changes by adding 45 minutes to your drive is that a positive or negative change?

• Like 1

Change itself is neither good nor bad. For example, if your drive to work changes by adding 45 minutes to your drive is that a positive or negative change?

I don't think I would like that change.

About 20 minutes into it but I like it.

I'm digging 2017, Mastercam finally doesn't like 1980 GUI. 

I can't wait for the improvements when the final version comes out. 

I don't think I would like that change.

For me that's what the ribbon interface is like. It adds countless clicks to my workflow.

• Like 1

They made MC look like Microsoft Office 2013 :unsure:

Is the crappy tabbed interface at the top the "Ribbon" that I've been hearing about? It totally blows. I want my icons back! :realmad:

• Like 1

I just added a few more functions in my Right-click Context Menu :thumbsup:    Helps to get away from some of those damn ribbons lol

I do like the new version I reckon, but it's gonna take a few days to get used to...

For me that's what the ribbon interface is like. It adds countless clicks to my workflow.

I don't know about countless. many functions are actually easier to get to. I understand we all use different tools and paths but most of the stuff I use, create rectangle, create line, create curve, toolpath contour, toolpath multi-axis. Almost everything that I am looking at is about the same amount of clicks or less. The only thing I find is I just haven't learned all their locations as well as I know them in x9. But I worked with X9 for over a year now and 2017 for only a few weeks which is the only reason I am slower in 2017. With a short time I will have 2017 button locations memorized and I honestly feel I can be quicker.

I say countless because the number is going to vary depending on what tab I'm on. For me, 99% of the functions I need are one clock away. Now they are spread out between all the different tabs so I must first hit the tab, than I can select the icon. Once official release comes out I will go through and make a custom ribbon so as many of the features are on one tab as I can. Sadly we can no longer locate any icons on the bottom and sides and for me that is going to be tough.

• Like 3

Please tell me the RMB (right mouse button) is still there..?!? And the MRU toolbar ?

• Like 3

I will need practice to get used to this new interface for sure... but i already noticed a great improvement: to be able to make shortcuts keys for any command ! I will finally be able to launch Verify without needing to click on this tiny icon above toolpath manager... wonderful.

MRU is now a window, i would have prefer it integrated like mask selection but still need to get used to!

Anyone having a problem linking their account?

On MasterCam.com my profile is linked to my old job's mastercam. I tried a new code and it doesn't work. Also, I'm on NetHASP if that makes any difference. We have a few days left of current maintenance.

A word of caution on posts

due to some parameter changes, Postability posts will need factory edits to run in MC2017

You will not be able to update then yourself.

Its not a big deal and it's a quick fix but Dave will be getting hammered as people start updating

Make sure your posts are up and running before you start a big project in MC2017

I've seen no issues with mpmaster, pmgen5X or mpfan posts

I don't know if InHouse posts are affected or not

I can summarize this for you briefly and offer up a quick DIY fix:

We have used lathe post variables in our mill posts for quite some time as part of our Unified Post Kernel technology that features using shared post blocks across our products.  As of the final Technical Preview release, Mastercam 2017 performs error checking to prevent this practice.

In order to Migrate to Mastercam 2017 without error:

BEFORE MIGRATION change the post product code in the header line from P0 to P4 to make the post mill/turn, and therefore able to use Lathe post variables:

this

[post_VERSION] #DO NOT MOVE OR ALTER THIS LINE# V18.00 P0 E1 W18.00 T1274880253 M18.00 I0 O0

changes to

[post_VERSION] #DO NOT MOVE OR ALTER THIS LINE# V18.00 P4 E1 W18.00 T1274880253 M18.00 I0 O0

We do have the issues corrected across our library of clients posts.  You can certainly contact your Mastercam reseller with your current post, and we will be happy to provide you with a synchronized copy.

• Like 5

Anyone having a problem linking their account?

On MasterCam.com my profile is linked to my old job's mastercam. I tried a new code and it doesn't work. Also, I'm on NetHASP if that makes any difference. We have a few days left of current maintenance.

I have always had to use a dongle in order for the linking to work. I could never get it to work from the network. 

I linked off of the nethasp at work a couple weeks ago...no issues at all

Is Machine Simulation a separate license now? Or is this just Beta limited?