Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What do you use/like to use to program NTX 2000 (or any millturn machine)

1 lower turret, 2 spindles, 60? capto tools, brand new.

New territory for me. I've been asked this question and I don't have much experience in this.

I know that having a Vericut would be a must as I already wouldn't release any 5-axis program without it.

The company is struggling with mastercam/post combination to run this machine.

We have several top notch guys on this forum running those machines successfully.

What are you recommendations?

TIA

If I am using Mastercam lathe and mill, yes typically..

I was however referring to the Mastercam Mill/Turn product which uses machine environments, CNC Software provides those with purchase

2016-02-27_10-23-26_zpshmc2e8zn.jpg

excuse the dumb question but is this an ad on to mastercam like solids or multi axis?

and or does it handle the wait codes pretty seamlessly?

It is an add on........you purchase the base and then the environment for you machine.....

It handles wait codes seamlessly.....

After you complete your program, you post process, this takes you into code expert which breaks you code up that needs be in separate streams.....

You then graphically link your ops  for the appropriate points for your wait codes......run the simulation, then create the actual gcode

John, thanks for the info.

So, The way I understand it, there is no middle man "post" guy. The whole package comes from CNC software.

Who is your "go to" guy with this machine at CNC software?

Thank you.

That is correct.......several people are all ensconced in it but my dealing have been mainly with Min......guy know his stuff  :) 

John, can you import stl of capto tools. I stopped using mcam millturn a few versions ago and went to Esprit because of that reason. If I can have accurate sim models I may take another look.

This one is a seat of the pants answer.......I don't think at the consumer level......yet.....that you can do this. It can be done at the build level in CNC

It was something that was supposed to be available to the end user but I don't think it is as yet.

In MC2017 you can create tools and holders from step files

I've been down loading Sandvik toolholder stp files, assembling them into Capto stacks in SW

and saving them out stp 

They come into Mastercam perfectly

I don't have access to mill/turn but would assume it has the same capability

One thing about the mill/turn product

It is machine specific

If CNC does not have your machine built yet, you are out of luck

I would love to try mill/turn out on our Okuma YB1200 VTM, but Mastercam does

not have mill/turn for that model Given it's tiny user base ( less than a dozen in the US), it's unlikely it ever will be

supported by mill/turn

The first thing to do before getting excited about the mill/turn module is to make sure

your machine is supported.

One thing about the mill/turn product

It is machine specific

If CNC does not have your machine built yet, you are out of luck

I would love to try mill/turn out on our Okuma YB1200 VTM, but Mastercam does

not have mill/turn for that model Given it's tiny user base ( less than a dozen in the US), it's unlikely it ever will be

supported by mill/turn

The first thing to do before getting excited about the mill/turn module is to make sure

your machine is supported.

That's a bummer. That's why I like Esprit for MTM. They cover just about every machine out there. They have a full time employee at Okuma, Mazak, Mori, and a few of the swiss makers that just do machine sim and post support. When a new Okuma comes out we have a simulation in days. Posts are not far behind. 

That's a bummer. That's why I like Esprit for MTM. They cover just about every machine out there. They have a full time employee at Okuma, Mazak, Mori, and a few of the swiss makers that just do machine sim and post support. When a new Okuma comes out we have a simulation in days. Posts are not far behind. 

Yeah... I did a trial run of Espirt last year

Didn't bite because it is he!!ish expensive and the CAD sucks

They say it's fully associative, which is true if you build your models in Espirt,

but the CAD is so bad that's never going to happen

You wind up importing models, then reimporting if there are changes.

Just to poke a stick in my eye, their post department still emails me with post notifications

I just got one last week announcing that a new post  is available for my VTM :laughing:

Yeah, I really wanted to stay with Esprit. Their guy at Mazak in Kentucky, Derek, is really freaking good.

If you are willing to put in a little time you can build any machine you want and have a pretty dang accurate simulation... as accurate as you model it.

If Esprit cad is bad, wouldn't running it in Solidworks be the solution.

Mastercam is pretty expensive, so how pricey could Esprit be?

The last quote we got on Esprit to add one more seat of full mill with mill/turn and add mill/turn to my seat was mre than twice two full seats of mcam.