Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

EDM Round Workpiece Holding

lucas257

I'm at a dead stop, maybe just for the fact that a leap year landed on a Monday :wallbash: I'm looking to burn a round work piece with teeth 360 around the part. I know they will not purchase me a rotary, so that's out of the question. As an added bonus of confusion they also REFUSE to let me design a fixture that will stop halfway and just manually index to a pin so they can index the part 180 and restart the program...They want this thing burned 360 one run, no moving of the part without a rotary; any Ideas are better than what I have going on in my head on this fine Monday....Fire away!

post-48003-0-68036200-1456759507_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm at a dead stop, maybe just for the fact that a leap year landed on a Monday :wallbash: I'm looking to burn a round work piece with teeth 360 around the part. I know they will not purchase me a rotary, so that's out of the question. As an added bonus of confusion they also REFUSE to let me design a fixture that will stop halfway and just manually index to a pin so they can index the part 180 and restart the program...They want this thing burned 360 one run, no moving of the part without a rotary; any Ideas are better than what I have going on in my head on this fine Monday....Fire away!

attachicon.gifIMG_1638.JPG

Is that the electrode or the part?

In the WEDM, what I do is make the OD of the part about .250/side bigger and hold the part on a magnetic V Block and and then burn all the way around it. Ive done it a lot. It would be best to hole pop a start hole in between the larger od and finished surface to keep part from moving.

If you have two rails in your wire you could cut one side on rail one. Then clamp the  cut side from rail two and wire the second side. Not the best idea for sure. And not one run.

Another idea (better) cut one side ( 180 degrees or more)  of the part. Then cut a female fixture with the gear teeth in it . Then load the cut part into the female fixture. and finish the second side while in the fixture. But that WOULD require a fixture.

Both ideas are not exactly what your looking for. 360 in one setup on a wire edm. I would like to see that. Good luck

You can do it like I said. If you need skim cuts then leave a large tab to reverse pass it and use some glue tabs to cut it off and even skim the tab. When its done just pull the sleeve off and keep the inside. You could do the same with a square piece and eliminate the magnetic V block.

Yep.  IF you start with oversize stock. For sure that's the way to go. Or even square oversize stock like you say. I'm thinking the OD of the part is already finished and that's what the OP has to work with. I could be wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time. I confuse easy. Something in the water. LOL

• Like 1