Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Start up

keeper

That's what I do...well, kinda. Some people here only create wireframe for what they need. I prefer it for the whole part.

As far as the "kinda" part that I mentioned earlier, I have my import settings to automatically create the wireframe on import.

Typically I don't bother with surfaces or edge curves for the entire part

But I will layout my part, stock, fixtures based on the levels I use

I only create curves that I actually need....

I only need surfaces if I'm going to use surface toolpaths. If that's the case, I copy the solid to my surfaces level so I can Model Prep->Push/Pull to extend faces quickly and easily for runoff. Then I create surfaces from that extended solid before deleting it, keeping the original on my solids level.

Want to get some more speed out of your toolpath processing on big files switch to surfaces. I have seen as much as 50% faster generation times using only needed surfaces on big models verses using the solid. For regeneration time as much as 70% faster to regenerate the operation.

I have 1.3 gig file that took 14 hours to process as HST toolpath using Solids and it only took 4 hours using the Surfaces.

• Like 4

Want to get some more speed out of your toolpath processing on big files switch to surfaces. I have seen as much as 50% faster generation times using only needed surfaces on big models verses using the solid. For regeneration time as much as 70% faster to regenerate the operation.

I have 1.3 gig file that took 14 hours to process as HST toolpath using Solids and it only took 4 hours using the Surfaces.

I agree Ron...if you look on my website there's a "BIG" casing that I did that was monstrous in size, clicking on parameters would take 2 to 3 minutes just to open.....

Switched that to surfaces, dumped the solid, performance got a lot better

For me Solid comes in and I start setting up stock and my WCS or WCS's for programming. I barely ever create a surface unless I need for say a Undercut or something.

Then I start pathing right from the solid. I know a lot of folks are still stuck in the old days of using surfaces and Wire only.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

For me Solid comes in and I start setting up stock and my WCS or WCS's for programming. I barely ever create a surface unless I need for say a Undercut or something.

Then I start pathing right from the solid. I know a lot of folks are still stuck in the old days of using surfaces and Wire only.

Just my 2 cents.

It ain't stuck Jay it's just on more complex geometry solid toolpathing is beyond horrid

As this here would be one of those rare times that yes moving to Surfaces does help.

We will have to see how 2017 handles it. hopefully better.

I honestly have never seen a difference if the surface model was exported from an software correctly. I have seen some from CAD years ago not exported correctly using a .005 tolerance that yielded bad results, but that was traced back to a bad surface model. I like working with Solids, but the HST toolpaths and some others just seem to act differently with solids verse surfaces. Even with something with only a couple 100 surfaces I have seen surfaces allow Mastercam to preform better using surfaces.

• Like 1

My process is typically -

- Import model

- Creat stock solid via bounding box

- Create WCS's

- Set up my levels, Usually 1-Part, 2-Stock, 10/20/30 for op 1/2/3 geometry respectfully, then 11/12/13 (supporting levels for OP1) for fixtures and other misc junk.

- Create wireframe and surfaces only when the solid does not work or give desired results.

Is this the same as just selecting the specific solid faces you need, or are surfaces actually processed faster?

Just my 2 cents.

I think there is also the issue of importing and exporting files. When you have this need solids is a no go from my experience. Had to merge files from several different places and by using wireframe and surfaces with everything placed on different levels it all came together nicely. I have pushed for only using solids for years, but when the job demands you to be efficient having all the tools at your fingertips really helps. End of the day sharing our experiences and what is working and not working is good to talk about.

• Like 4

My process is typically -

- Import model

- Creat stock solid via bounding box

- Create WCS's

- Set up my levels, Usually 1-Part, 2-Stock, 10/20/30 for op 1/2/3 geometry respectfully, then 11/12/13 (supporting levels for OP1) for fixtures and other misc junk.

- Create wireframe and surfaces only when the solid does not work or give desired results.

kunfuzed,

Are you using a .csv file to import your level names? If you're not, you should. It only takes a few clicks and you'll have all of your levels named for you. Even if you don't know all of them. having some/most of them named is a nice time savings for repetitive tasks.

For example, I put machining geometry on separate levels per setup using levels 10, 11, 12. They will end up being named something like BOTTOM GEO, TOP GEO, SIDE PKT GEO, etc. Since these names won't be the same for every file, my .csv file has each of them named "GEO." That way I only have to type the WCS name into the level name and I'm done.

• Like 1

kunfuzed,

Are you using a .csv file to import your level names? If you're not, you should. It only takes a few clicks and you'll have all of your levels named for you. Even if you don't know all of them. having some/most of them named is a nice time savings for repetitive tasks.

For example, I put machining geometry on separate levels per setup using levels 10, 11, 12. They will end up being named something like BOTTOM GEO, TOP GEO, SIDE PKT GEO, etc. Since these names won't be the same for every file, my .csv file has each of them named "GEO." That way I only have to type the WCS name into the level name and I'm done.

Thanks for the idea, will have to try it!