Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

more help needed with settings.

billystein

when i define a new end mill the default setting is 1/2 inch. the name is also default to "1/2 endmill".

normally not a big deal but whatever tool i define the name stays the same. this has caused me a few mistakes because i havent been double checking these parameters.

i would like to change the default size em to 2. and delete the tool name.

which file for files do i change for these parameters?

thanks in advance.

Instead of continually editing the "default" 1/2" tool, I'd recommend just Right-Clicking, and choosing "Get tool from Library". This will give you the ability to use the "Filter" to restrict the type of tools shown. Mastercam has library tools for all of the "Standard sizes". Instead of editing the 1/2" default, just pick the correct sized endmill from the library. Not only will it get all the correct defaults for things like Flute Length, but each default tool also has the correct description already in place...

i dont use tool library. no reason, i played with a few times but never started using it regular.

Saves you tons of time... You can also grab a tool library tool and set the parameters on it, you can set the speeds and feeds.  So, for example, you save a 1/2 inch tool with a .062R, a feed of 250 and 12000 RPMs and save it as a 1/2 BULL ENDMILL 3 FLUTE .06R aluminum(you can edit the descriotion), save to the library and then it will show up on when you click Select Library Tool.  This way you can set the tools you most commonly use without having to set you parameters every time.

• Like 2

Seems you are determined to do it this way. Will need to change your operations defaults and it will have that tools used in there. You could build an operation default with 10, 20 or even a 100 tools your commonly use in there and then every time you make your programs those tools are always there. Would be some work upfront, but seems you like the extra steps needed doing it your way so this will allow you to do it your way, but make it work a little faster for you.

sorry thad, but to me , scrolling through a couple of hundred tools that dont get used is not a genius move. i soon tired of paging through the same library to find a tool that takes me 10 seconds to define. in 30 years i have yet to define a holder. ok 29 years. if you would like to my simple parts just look at ernie's cool verisurf samples. ask him who made them.

sorry thad, but to me , scrolling through a couple of hundred tools that dont get used is not a genius move. i soon tired of paging through the same library to find a tool that takes me 10 seconds to define. in 30 years i have yet to define a holder. ok 29 years. if you would like to my simple parts just look at ernie's cool verisurf samples. ask him who made them.

Dont take it personal, we're all just trying to help each other learn.  Like Ron said, if it works for you...  I do however want to add to your last post that you can click filter and it will only show you the endmills, or drills, or spot drills etc...

If you just use a few tools, why not make your own library? You can customize it the way you want, and only populate it with the stuff you use. If you ever do create a new tool, you can just save it to your own library and slowly populate it that way.

I don't think I ever used one of the default librarys....way too much stuff in there I would never use.

• Like 1

You don't have to scroll through the list at all.

When you create an operation, you click the "Select Library Tool" button. This opens the Library.

With the Library open, you click the "Filter" button on the right side of the dialog box. This opens up the "Filter", and allows you to quickly get only what you are looking for. For example, on the Left side of the dialog are icons for "Tool Type".

Start by hitting the "none" button under the Tool Type buttons. This turns off all the types. Then just add the ones you want. Flat endmills? Just click that icon. Bull endmill? Just click that icon. You want to search Flat, Bull, and Ball, select all three.

Once you have chosen your tool type filter, just hit the Green check mark.

Boom. Now your list has only the tool types you were looking for.

I can select a basic size of any single tool type in less than 10 seconds. Consistently.

This is why you are getting so much push back on the fact that you are constantly redefining your tools. There are much easier methods that will save you time, every time.

1. Make sure "Assign tool numbers sequentially" is enabled.
  2. Create a new Operation
  3. Use the Select Library Tool button...
  4. Click Filter
  5. Click "none" on tool type
  6. Click the type(s) you do want.
  7. Choose the correct tool from your filtered tool list.

I can pick any tool from the library in 1/3 the time you spend modifying the default tools. And the "Tool Descriptions" will be perfect, every time.

• Like 1

Ok,

To answer your question, since you are hell bent on going your own route:

1. Go to Shared mcamx_\Mill\Ops folder. (replace underscore with your Mastercam X version number so 'Shared mcamx9' for example.)
  2. In the Ops folder, take the Mill_Inch.Operations-9 file, and make a copy (for backup).
  3. Rename the 'Mill_Inch.Defaults-9' file, and change the File Extension to ".MCX-9".
  4. Open Mastercam, and use File > Open, then browse to the "Mill_Inch.MCX-9" file.
  5. When you open the ".defaults" file, as a "Mastercam" file, you can edit the operation in the Ops manager. Open each copy of each tool path, and edit the default tool. (I believe you might have to do this for each Operation.)
  6. After you make the changes you want, save the Mastercam file.
  7. Close Mastercam completely.
  8. Rename the File extension to '.Defaults-9', and you should be good to go.

i learned to make programs without the libraries and it just hasnt been an issue. i still have x9 update coming up.  plenty of other things to learn just to stay current. 

What version are you upgrading from? If you are moving up from V9, you're going to hate the delay that it takes to open the new Tool Manager dialog...

It might just be time to learn how to use the library and filter, once you realize the workflow isn't quite like the "old tool" dialog method...

I have tool databases that range from 12 tools that never come out of one machine to one that has 160.

Just curious, you define metric taps for standard files every time? No way that can be faster than selecting from a db.

Thanks again JParis for the metric taps db.

make your own library, every time you make a tool save it to the library,  its 2 clicks,  after that its one click to open library one double click to pick tool and return to tool page.

make lots of library's,  for different materials different machines what have you,  you can put notes in the tool description (some odd tool you yous wants a year) its limitless. not having a library  is almost as bad as not setting the operation defaults to a good  starting point.

and if you run  different stuff on different machines, pre heat, mold base, cut trodes, hard mill, you should  have different op defaults for different machines, pick the machine and it goes to the defaults for the machine and the tool library.

• Like 1

You don't have to scroll through the list at all.

When you create an operation, you click the "Select Library Tool" button. This opens the Library.

With the Library open, you click the "Filter" button on the right side of the dialog box. This opens up the "Filter", and allows you to quickly get only what you are looking for. For example, on the Left side of the dialog are icons for "Tool Type".

Start by hitting the "none" button under the Tool Type buttons. This turns off all the types. Then just add the ones you want. Flat endmills? Just click that icon. Bull endmill? Just click that icon. You want to search Flat, Bull, and Ball, select all three.

Actually once you open the filter just double click what you want. Even if they are all selected it will just go to what you have selected. You want drills double click drills and that is all you will see.

• Like 1