Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS UMC 750 Help

capmkrk

Hey guys i just started a company that just bought a new UMC 750. I and another programmer are using X9, but have no 5 axis experience. We have been able to run a few jobs using the WCS, but have recenly been  given a job that needs full 5 axis machining, and we have no idea how to pull it off. We have heard about HAAS using dynamic work offsets, and have a post to support it, but which multi-axis toolpaths and setting up the job are proving to be a real challenge. Any advice or direction that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

IMHO you'd be best to program everything in TCP & TWP but your post would have to support it. Also verify the pivot points on the machine and get them down to .0001-.0002 in order for everything to come out less than .001 true position. If you need to hold tighter tolerances than that then you can always use additional work offsets to fudge those features in. Personally I would stay away from dynamic work offsets and multiple offsets, fixture tracking etc. with TCP there's just one work offset and it makes it so much easier to setup now & months down the road. It's kinda like 2D circle interpolation, it's better to let the control calculate the circle than program point to point, just like it's better to let the control calculate it using TCP or TWP 

that's my 2¢

cheers!

Len Dye

if you have a good post you should be fine.  we have 2 of these machines and don't have too many issues. mostly overtravel issues( we like to stretch the limits of the machine).  dwo and tcpc works pretty good, but like said before check that your center of rotation is correct. the haas has a program to help set it but sometimes it needs to be tweaked.  if you lock a tool path to a tool plane then it should post out in "G254"( dwo) and if you are going to go full 5 axis then it should post out "G234" which is tool center point.

Multiaxis milling is tough to learn on the fly.

As Rstewart suggested, a mill level 3 training class from your reseller is probably the best way to go.

If that is not feasible, Daniel and the guys at In-House can hook you up with some on-line training resources.  :thumbsup:

If you must do trial and error, verification software is a good investment if you don't already have it.

Better to crash the simulated machine than the real one!!  :o

Good luck.  :cheers:

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Need some clarification on setting up the center part/tilt or verify those points? New and just a UMC750, is establishing the tilt/rotation/pivot point on part done utilizing say G54? Also, on Mastercam if I was utilizing this tilt would I have to utilize the top plane X0, Y0, Z0 in order to machine it? Noob here and trying to figure this all out.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:57 AM, Mr.Crowley said:

Need some clarification on setting up the center part/tilt or verify those points? New and just a UMC750, is establishing the tilt/rotation/pivot point on part done utilizing say G54? Also, on Mastercam if I was utilizing this tilt would I have to utilize the top plane X0, Y0, Z0 in order to machine it? Noob here and trying to figure this all out.

Welcome to the forum, sir!!  :cheers:

Yes, we generally position the part in CAD space relative to the tilt/rotary pivot point of the machine, and program everything in the TOP plane.

As long as your G54 X, Y, and Z zero point on the machine matches your Mastercam origin point, you should be good to go. :yes