Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool holder definitions

LeoC

When choosing a tool holder for checking for collision, there are a huge variety of tool holders listed but where do these numbers come from? Is there a catalog I can check so I know which ones I should be using?

LeoCattachicon.giftool holder definitions.JPG

Nope we have found it best to update the holder libraries to match what our customers are using. Some work to begin with, but once you get into the swing of things pretty straight forward.

Check command.

While I'm not sure of a standard, the C4Cx disignation is cat 40, gage length, and the numbers after the dash are the diameter of holder or collet type.

Example:

C4C4-0011 is a cat 40 standard length ER 11 collet holder

post-13248-0-83836800-1458324096_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We have built our own for the HSK-63A ones. They have the models on their website, but I can never get my login to work with them. I have just used the Catalog and used an Excel Spread sheet to help me build my holders in the Tool Manager.

Here is a link for it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4fahy59xpv5qg1/Tool%20Length%20HSK63A%20cheat.xlsx?dl=0

• Like 1

Don't trust the holder definitions in mastercam...or any holder manufacturer (which supplied those definitions). I found mistakes in almost all of them.

Always verify! Especially when flying by within .010-.025" at high speeds on 4 and 5 axis equipment 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I'm sorry if it's not cool to hijack this old thread, but it's the most relevant holder related thread that I found.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add Manufacturer's to the holder list? I have Haimer shrinkfit holders and Haimer is not an option in the dropdown when using the tool manager holder wizard

• Like 1

I'm sorry if it's not cool to hijack this old thread, but it's the most relevant holder related thread that I found.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add Manufacturer's to the holder list? I have Haimer shrinkfit holders and Haimer is not an option in the dropdown when using the tool manager holder wizard

In the stand alone Tool Manager in 2017, select the Holder, then on the right there's a Green + sign...you can add it there

If you're in X9 or earlier, no it is not

• 7 years later...

When we first set up our own, customized holder library using the stand-alone manager, the guy who helped us downloaded a bunch of the holders from the makers, but he never really showed me how to do that, and the few times I've tried I haven't had great success. So, since that original time in 2019 when we set up everything, I draw most of the holders and extension we have added to our tool crib. They may not be perfect, but we've never had a holder hit a part unless it was an oddball holder that was made slightly different by a different maker of a similar holder.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a good course on how to customize tooling and holders. We have a Frankenstein library of generically generated Mastercam tools and others which I have drawn the best I can, but like I said, when I download stuff...idk...it will have the internal shapes as well as external, and it's just not something I've felt like delving into deeply to figure it out...and our library works 'well enough' and like everything, it's never something our employer cares enough about as long as things 'work'....

6 minutes ago, sharles said:

When we first set up our own, customized holder library using the stand-alone manager, the guy who helped us downloaded a bunch of the holders from the makers, but he never really showed me how to do that, and the few times I've tried I haven't had great success. So, since that original time in 2019 when we set up everything, I draw most of the holders and extension we have added to our tool crib. They may not be perfect, but we've never had a holder hit a part unless it was an oddball holder that was made slightly different by a different maker of a similar holder.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a good course on how to customize tooling and holders. We have a Frankenstein library of generically generated Mastercam tools and others which I have drawn the best I can, but like I said, when I download stuff...idk...it will have the internal shapes as well as external, and it's just not something I've felt like delving into deeply to figure it out...and our library works 'well enough' and like everything, it's never something our employer cares enough about as long as things 'work'....

It's actually very easy....

Orient the holder so the centerline lies along the X axis......the face of the holder should be at the origin....

Clean up all of the geometry so that you have a wireframe outline in the X- / Y+ quadrant....make sure it is ALL neatly trimmed together and all on a level named NOCUT

Save that as a .dxf file....you can them import the dxf into the standalone tool manager and name it as you would like...

Once you've done a few, the process is really straight forward

If you start out with a solid model for a holder, position it as noted and Create >> Curve >> Slice to get the wireframe.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3
On 10/5/2023 at 8:31 AM, JParis said:

It's actually very easy....

Orient the holder so the centerline lies along the X axis......the face of the holder should be at the origin....

Clean up all of the geometry so that you have a wireframe outline in the X- / Y+ quadrant....make sure it is ALL neatly trimmed together and all on a level named NOCUT

Save that as a .dxf file....you can them import the dxf into the standalone tool manager and name it as you would like...

Once you've done a few, the process is really straight forward

If you start out with a solid model for a holder, position it as noted and Create >> Curve >> Slice to get the wireframe.

I often toss the dxf or solid on my other monitor and slap the drafting dimensions on it.  it takes about the same amount of time as cleaning up the geometry, and then I can make a geometrically simple model instead of dealing with whatever fillets or weird shapes I sometimes find in MFG models.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another...

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, gms1 said:

I still don't use models for holders. I just grab a pair of calipers and do some quick checks and save it. Far faster than editing geometry or models.

When you programing for customers that you don't go onsite for have to pick a method where physical presence is required. I have done it this way for many years and got tools and holders within .005 of parts and not had collisions. 

As programmers I am all about good, repeatable habits....I do these things even on the simplest of jobs I get. Establish good habits, they will never steer you wrong.

Name your files

Create a utilize levels that are associated and mean something to the program and/or part

Create a tool library to that it is consistent for the setup people & operators

Create a tool holder library that clearly identifies the holder.

Create tool assembles that identify holder, length, tool stick out and gauge length.

Set your op defaults so that your output is consistent.

Notate and comment things in your program. 

Good setup documentation and setup notes and a clear tool list.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JParis said:

As programmers I am all about good, repeatable habits....I do these things even on the simplest of jobs I get. Establish good habits, they will never steer you wrong.

Name your files <-- Check

Create a utilize levels that are associated and mean something to the program and/or part <-- Check

Create a tool library to that it is consistent for the setup people & operators <-- Check

Create a tool holder library that clearly identifies the holder. <-- Check

Create tool assembles that identify holder, length, tool stick out and gauge length. <-- Check

Set your op defaults so that your output is consistent. <-- Check

Notate and comment things in your program.  <-- Check

Good setup documentation and setup notes and a clear tool list. <-- Check

What I do so guess I pass the test. 😉

• Haha 2
On 10/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, JParis said:

Name your files

Create a utilize levels that are associated and mean something to the program and/or part

Create a tool library to that it is consistent for the setup people & operators

Create a tool holder library that clearly identifies the holder.

Create tool assembles that identify holder, length, tool stick out and gauge length.

Set your op defaults so that your output is consistent.

Notate and comment things in your program. 

Good setup documentation and setup notes and a clear tool list.

I would add, please, utilize a folder structure that is  sensible, self explanatory, and contains all relevant files.