Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help needed converting .mcx-8 file

crdafoe

I need assistance converting a Mastercam X8 with Verisurf, .mcx-8 file, to a SolidWorks .sldprt file.  I'm hoping someone with Mastercam X8 or above with the Solidworks plugin can do this?  It is a small file (375 Kb), that Verisurf used to take measurements of an engine block.  When using Mastercam to save the file as .iges or .stp, and then trying to open that file in Solidworks 2015, it displays a bunch of errors and won't display the part in Solidworks.  I"m hoping that if the file is saved in MasterCam (using the Solidworks plugin) to a Solidworks .sldprt file, then that will remedy the issue.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you're able to assist, and i'll email you the file.

Thanks very much

Chris Dafoe (newbie)

[email protected] 

• Like 1

You cannot save an .mcx file as an sldprt....

You can save it as one of several other formats, x_t, stp and others that can be read into Solidworks...

I've tried that and unfortunately have not gotten good results.  The guy who did the measuring saved the file as a .igs and a .stp, and both of them will load into Solidworks, but it only displays some of the part, and throws a bunch of errors about missing data.  Interestingly, if the same files are opened in Rhino 3D, everything shows up properly.  I tried re-saving it in Rhino and then opening in Solidworks, but the result doesn't change.

Frustrating that a native Solidworks file can be opened in Mastercam, but not vice-versa.  Any suggestions?

Thank you for the assistance

No, all it asks is if I want to run Import Diagnostics on the part.  If I choose Yes, then it displays what the screenshot shows and on the side pane reads "Repair faulty faces and gaps".  If I choose the "Attempt to heal all" option, it just errors out and says "Gaps between faces could not be repaired".  

• 6 years later...
On 1/3/2023 at 5:15 PM, twulfe said:

I have an old MC X8 program, but currently using MC 23.  I'm being told that MC 23 will not open nor read the program.  Can anyone confirm this is true or not?

that  file will open in mastercam 2023, All X releases can be opened in 2023, its just the V releases that can not