Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

NASA wants IT approval

Rocketmachinist

We have been slowly working our way through buying a new seat of Mastercam. Because this shop is buying their 1st copy of the software IT is wanting to treat it like nobody has ever used the software at all. If anyone out there has gone through any IT background checks for Mastercam and has any of the documentation proving that the software doesn't have any North Korean spy software built into it. Or any proof that it has been used in DOD/GOVT work for years and that it is a trusted software, then please PM me the information. I have been pushing for to get away from the absolutely horrible Surfcam since October and IT says it can take another 3 to 4 months to get the software approved. Every day we continue to use Surfcam we are just throwing money away. The program is just the worst.

We bought Mastercam here at JPL about 10 years ago. I wasn't directly involved with purchasing. I know IT had to do some research about the software but it did not take long to do it. I'm sure your reseller have all the answers they need. I will let you know if I find more information.

We occasionally use our system for classified work. Our solution is to keep our workstation off the network so there is no chance of a hack or spying. It is a bit of a pain when updates are needed or when help from our reseller is needed, but we get by.

I have a tower that has been off line for 7 months so I can relate.

• Like 1

I have a tower that has been off line for 7 months so I can relate.

Our entire network is offline and has been for 11 years since company inception (6 pc's).

Only the 1x pc to the big outside world for email and interweb.

Everything runs smooth because there's no windows updates...

• Like 1

For the past decade, we have used the software regularly for DOE work in collaboration with various US National Labs. If there was a security problem I am sure it would have popped up by now. I will contact IT and see if they have anything on file. If I find any information I think might be of use, I'll PM you.

We have been slowly working our way through buying a new seat of Mastercam. Because this shop is buying their 1st copy of the software IT is wanting to treat it like nobody has ever used the software at all. If anyone out there has gone through any IT background checks for Mastercam and has any of the documentation proving that the software doesn't have any North Korean spy software built into it. Or any proof that it has been used in DOD/GOVT work for years and that it is a trusted software, then please PM me the information. I have been pushing for to get away from the absolutely horrible Surfcam since October and IT says it can take another 3 to 4 months to get the software approved. Every day we continue to use Surfcam we are just throwing money away. The program is just the worst.

Have your IT department put together a document listing the information they need and then they can work with your local reseller or us direct to get  the data they need.  I personally haven't been through this type of request before, however I did forward this along to others here at CNC to see if anyone has dealt with this before.  Out of curiosity, did you give your local Mastercam Reseller a call on this?

• Like 2

Have your IT department put together a document listing the information they need and then they can work with your local reseller or us direct to get  the data they need.  I personally haven't been through this type of request before, however I did forward this along to others here at CNC to see if anyone has dealt with this before.  Out of curiosity, did you give your local Mastercam Reseller a call on this?

I sent him an email. He said he would call up the main CNC software people and find out what information they have.

I can tell you that we went through a similar process when I was at Boeing. I know that Boeing IT scanned through Mastercam. I don't know if they just scanned through the installed components, or if CNC Software provided Boeing with a secure copy of the Mastercam source code. I remember the process took several months to complete, but Mastercam did pass the test, and was accepted as a "standard software product". One of the reasons that this is a requirement, is because Boeing does "remote installations" of software through a system they built in-house. You go to the standard software library they have, select the software program you want to install, and their software does the entire job, including a special "administrator" log in, and it all works automatically and remotely.

I'll try to reach out to some contacts I've got at Boeing and see if they can provide any info...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Wooh just got approval from it to buy our 1st seat in this shop. It took some nagging but the guy finally looked into it and approved the thing in about 3 hours.

It was funny the guy was soo passive aggressive with his email.

"I will look into the request, now."

This message was sent with low priority.

Man if he wasnt a civil servant i swear i would tear into him but those guys are so immune from discipline. At least we are moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wooh just got approval from it to buy our 1st seat in this shop. It took some nagging but the guy finally looked into it and approved the thing in about 3 hours. It was funny the guy was soo passive aggressive with his email. "I will look into the request, now." This message was sent with low priority. Man if he wasnt a civil servant i swear i would tear into him but those guys are so immune from discipline. At least we are moving forward. Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Part of the reason could be that MasterCAM does not digitally sign their software (Gee, what's up with that, even I sign my software), thus it is impossible to verify it has come from them and has not been modified by a North Korean spy agency. And your IT policy probably specifically says about installing "software from unverified sources" being a big NO-NO.

I am sure MC has reasons for not signing (one of them being that it is so prolific) but for small guys like me signing helps to get by bureaucratic IT hassles.