Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Y value Posts

I figured that was the case.  I don't think there would be any downsides to adding them in for all of the tools though.  Thoughts?

All the tools in what capacity or method? You have a Lathe tool that needs to be on center and you have a Y value in there and throw it off center then you got a problem. Pandora's box can be opened you start going about the process wrong. What specifically do you need or what problem are you running into that has created the need for them?

I know what you're saying with adding in those values could throw off center if a wrong number is in there.  If it's 0 though, it wouldn't move in the Y direction and it doesn't matter if there's a Y value in the code or not.  This would allow more adjustability and already have the compensation values in the program should they be needed.  

For example, if I have a rough facing tool that's off in the Y, I can change the Y value and have it cut on center.  The next tool, being a finish face is on center and even though there's a Y value in the program, the offset reads 0, so it shouldn't have any effect.  I understand as well, that both those tools should be on center at y0.

Conversely, if I have the programs not post out Y values for those tools, it would have to be added manually if needed for one of those tools.  

I don't see this as posing any issues, other than making sure the Y values are as they should be for offsets.  However, wanted to float this through the forum and see what other places are doing and make sure I'm not headed down the wrong path.  

I know what you're saying with adding in those values could throw off center if a wrong number is in there.  If it's 0 though, it wouldn't move in the Y direction and it doesn't matter if there's a Y value in the code or not.  This would allow more adjustability and already have the compensation values in the program should they be needed.  

For example, if I have a rough facing tool that's off in the Y, I can change the Y value and have it cut on center.  The next tool, being a finish face is on center and even though there's a Y value in the program, the offset reads 0, so it shouldn't have any effect.  I understand as well, that both those tools should be on center at y0.

Conversely, if I have the programs not post out Y values for those tools, it would have to be added manually if needed for one of those tools.  

I don't see this as posing any issues, other than making sure the Y values are as they should be for offsets.  However, wanted to float this through the forum and see what other places are doing and make sure I'm not headed down the wrong path.  

Sorry this doesn't make sense. If you have programmed everything correctly and have a good machine cutting the way you want then you wouldn't need a Y offset value. Other issue is when doing work on 2 or more side of a part then you could shift a feature in a bad direction. Now you would need more than one Y offset to fix the problem you are running into. Use what you need when you need and don't add logic to a process to support bad and/or possible problems down the road. Fix the problem and solve the issues and fixes are not needed. Programmed Turn/Mills for years and what you are talking about making a dedicated process has never come up in those years. I have programmed Y programs many times, but the post handled those needs as the came up and didn't do a blanket across the board application of Y where is was not needed.

That said there seems to be a growing idea in some engineering circles that education and learning in books means a lot more than experience. Hopefully you are not falling into that mind set and I encourage someone to get an education, but a real practical education with some real world applications in that education. You are set on your course and hopefully you get it all sorted out how you need. Seeing how I was the only one to even respond to this thread tells me a lot hopefully it tells you something as well. Please keep us(me) posted how your always Y method for ever tool works out and the problems you ran into that were only solved by using this method I would love to learn something new and different. 

If you have programmed everything correctly and have a good machine cutting the way you want then you wouldn't need a Y offset value.

I agree with this, right now though I have a tool that is shifted in Y and need to get the parts out to buy me some time to get it back on center.  

Other issue is when doing work on 2 or more side of a part then you could shift a feature in a bad direction. Now you would need more than one Y offset to fix the problem you are running into.

This is more of what I was looking for in an answer, the possible problems that could arise from this process.

That said there seems to be a growing idea in some engineering circles that education and learning in books means a lot more than experience. Hopefully you are not falling into that mind set and I encourage someone to get an education, but a real practical education with some real world applications in that education. You are set on your course and hopefully you get it all sorted out how you need. Seeing how I was the only one to even respond to this thread tells me a lot hopefully it tells you something as well. Please keep us(me) posted how your always Y method for ever tool works out and the problems you ran into that were only solved by using this method I would love to learn something new and different. 

No, experience almost always trumps education.  As long as the experience is spent improving and not making the same mistake over and over.  I am not set on this course by any means and was merely looking to find out how others handle their lathe posts.  
  • Like 1

If you have programmed everything correctly and have a good machine cutting the way you want then you wouldn't need a Y offset value.

I agree with this, right now though I have a tool that is shifted in Y and need to get the parts out to buy me some time to get it back on center.  

Other issue is when doing work on 2 or more side of a part then you could shift a feature in a bad direction. Now you would need more than one Y offset to fix the problem you are running into.

This is more of what I was looking for in an answer, the possible problems that could arise from this process.

No, experience almost always trumps education.  As long as the experience is spent improving and not making the same mistake over and over.  I am not set on this course by any means and was merely looking to find out how others handle their lathe posts.  

Great answers and yes you are on the correct path to help you make good parts. That is what sets machinist apart they adapt and figure out how to use what they got to get the job done. The best programmers IMHO are ones who have had to machine parts.

One benefit of having your post output the redundant "Y0." is that your turning tool paths will remain on the same plane if you use a backplotter like CIMCO. The same goes for "C0."

I often switch back & forth between Lathe & Mill backplot to view my toolpaths.