Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling on magnets

We our looking into magnetic workholding for several of our VMCs. Anybody else using magnets? Whose do you like?

We had our Techniks rep stop by and show us the ones they sell, MagVISE.

Also saw Hermann Schmidt's website has some, made by WENmagnetics. Actually, competitively priced. Didn't expect that from Hermann Schmidt.

See them in a lot of Makino videos, but not sure who makes them. They have red epoxy between the poles. 

I don't have to be convinced of the technology. It works and we need it. Just don't seem to be a lot of suppliers to choose from.

Didn't knows you hillbillies was all fancy like that. :harhar:

One of our programmers came from a shop full of Makinos. He said they looked at that brand, but they were too expensive. If they were too spendy for that shop. We ain't gettin one. :no

I'll hit 'em up anyways. Just for comparison purposes. Thanks.

Anybody ever forget to turn it on? :laughing:

Didn't knows you hillbillies was all fancy like that. :harhar:

One of our programmers came from a shop full of Makinos. He said they looked at that brand, but they were too expensive. If they were too spendy for that shop. We ain't gettin one. :no

I'll hit 'em up anyways. Just for comparison purposes. Thanks.

Anybody ever forget to turn it on? :laughing:

With meh new teef and the metal in them it sucked my head to the table and I milled a perfect hair line part.  :laughing:

IMG_0815_zps2ixf9yz7.jpg

• Like 3

is that the fabled aluma-deer from Vegas?^^^^

Is there a way to free-state steel plates on Mag-chucks for a milling machine? Need great flatness..

Aluma-Deer may as well be chupacabra to all but Thee Circle. You most likely will never see one.

And since only Thee Circle members showed up, it will prolly remain so. :harhar:

• Like 1

any fast easy way to free state a slightly warped1/2 x 6 x 15?

You put 3 or 4 solid blocks at the edges. They have these nifty little spring loaded blocks you put in the center. They have very light spring pressure, just enough to make them touch your part. When you turn the magnet on, those spring loaded blocks that have conformed to your warped work piece become rigid. Skim the top, flip it, skim the bottom, and its flat.

• Like 6

When we first started looking, I was picking sizes that pretty much covered our mill tables. But then I got to thinking, we don't EVER mill multiple parts. A 24 X 12 magnet has enough holding power to hold the biggest block we'll ever put on the machine. And if we ever do want multiple parts set up, it would hold four 8 X 12 blocks easily. These things are also freakin heavy and we often max out our machine's weight limit so trying to stay smaller is better for us.

^^^^yes, i'm now looking at their smaller offerings.^^^

250mm x 600mm 300 x 400 should work for my simple parts.

not much unattended run time plus load time of power cycling the magnet.

guess i'll just have to mechanically clamp after flatness is established to save money.

• 2 weeks later...

just got a quote for a 40x20 50 pole unit from one of the brands mentioned.

I could by a low end used CNC mill for the price.

Tecnomagnete has a promo going right now. Usually, their magnets are 50mm or 70mm pole spacing, but they make a limited number in a 62mm pole and sell them cheaper.

A 40x20, 40 pole, for $7190. A 30x16, 32 pole, for $5780. A 24x16, 24 pole, for $4840. Those prices include the controller, which costs almost $3000 by itself.

Talked the boss into the big one, a medium one, and three of the smaller ones. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tecnomagnete has a promo going right now. Usually, their magnets are 50mm or 70mm pole spacing, but they make a limited number in a 62mm pole and sell them cheaper.

A 40x20, 40 pole, for $7190. A 30x16, 32 pole, for $5780. A 24x16, 24 pole, for $4840. Those prices include the controller, which costs almost $3000 by itself.

Talked the boss into the big one, a medium one, and three of the smaller ones. :thumbsup:

i'm going to be pulling the trigger on the 30x16 this week. Thanks to Del's link.

some other suppliers seem to have a supply issue and are surprisingly expensive..

• 1 year later...

Fiinally got me a magnet for our 5 axis Roeders:thumbup:...

Roeders says these linear motor machines move/accelerate so fast that the part will move on the magnet. Meh, whadda they know.

I had the kid on nights pick up this block and run all the programs 3 inches up in the air. Then, pick up again and see if it moved. If it moved, turn on heavy duty machining, a setting for work pieces that are close to the machine's weight limit.

Came in this morning to a note that said the piece did in fact move. So he turned on heavy duty machining. I was bummed. The day guy checked the before and after pick up, he said, yep, it moved alright. By .0001".:rolleyes:

• Like 2

LOL

I love magnets.  We have 4 of the same brand but bigger.  I will be honest tho, you can move stuff all  over them.  Especially in a 5 axis where you tilt and start pushing on the side.  Things rarely move in a 3 axis but we have stops I made from brass so we can move them with it on.  We haven't had problems since we first got them but we have been using stops since about day 2.  You can also mill pockets in the pads.

5 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

LOL

I love magnets.  We have 4 of the same brand but bigger.  I will be honest tho, you can move stuff all  over them.  Especially in a 5 axis where you tilt and start pushing on the side.  Things rarely move in a 3 axis but we have stops I made from brass so we can move them with it on.  We haven't had problems since we first got them but we have been using stops since about day 2.  You can also mill pockets in the pads.

We have them on 5 of our 3 axis machines, but from Tecnomagnete. They are much bigger and have larger poles. Other than crashing, never moved a thing.

I typically rough the 4 outside faces of a block, like the one in video, with the A axis tilted 90 and index the C 4 times using a high feed cutter. I was smart enough not to try that on the magnet though. I have no doubt that the pressure from a high feed cutter that should push directly up into the spindle would instead push the block away from the cutter.