Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RADIAL VS. AXIAL CHIP THINNING

I've been enjoying using the new dynamic tool paths in MX9. From what I gather, the idea is to use a % of tool dia. as radial depth of cut (ie: 10% for step over), using a standard carbide tool (usually bull mill) and have a large depth of cut axially. (usually flute length of tool or pocket depth)

I've heard this style of cutting called, "Radial Chip Thinning."

I've been experimenting with different radial (max.) depth of cut/feed/speeds. I would like to do better than guess. However most of the "chip thinning" calculators seem to be based on axial chip thinning. (ie: small axial depth of cut and fast feed rates.) I tried the Iscar chip thinning calculator referred to in a previous post and it won't let me enter an axial depth of cut larger than the bull mill radius.

Can any one point me in the right direction as far as speeds/feeds for these new dynamic tool paths?

I've been enjoying using the new dynamic tool paths in MX9. From what I gather, the idea is to use a % of tool dia. as radial depth of cut (ie: 10% for step over), using a standard carbide tool (usually bull mill) and have a large depth of cut axially. (usually flute length of tool or pocket depth)

I've heard this style of cutting called, "Radial Chip Thinning."

I've been experimenting with different radial (max.) depth of cut/feed/speeds. I would like to do better than guess. However most of the "chip thinning" calculators seem to be based on axial chip thinning. (ie: small axial depth of cut and fast feed rates.) I tried the Iscar chip thinning calculator referred to in a previous post and it won't let me enter an axial depth of cut larger than the bull mill radius.

Can any one point me in the right direction as far as speeds/feeds for these new dynamic tool paths?

http://hsmadvisor.com/

Here is what I personally use and have used for a few years now. We have recommended this product to many of our customers and they cant say enough good things about it.

• Like 3

For axial chip thinning/ high feed mills, I will start with the manufacturers recommendations for step over, doc, rpm, and feed-rate for that particular tool. Normally I use HSM Advisor, but I have got better starting feed/speeds from the tool manufacturer. 

For axial chip thinning/ high feed mills, I will start with the manufacturers recommendations for step over, doc, rpm, and feed-rate for that particular tool. Normally I use HSM Advisor, but I have got better starting feed/speeds from the tool manufacturer. 

It is dependent on the tool manufacturer, of course, but 100% feed rate in HSMAdvisor is considered moderate and at 150% you get into what most manufacturers would suggest.

Here i am going at 170% and even at 100 i surpassed what was recommended as starting parameters:

Just to help me out, In what way do you say manufacturer's number are better?

• Like 1

HSM was giving me feedrates considerably lower than the manufacturers moderate feedrate. SFM was pretty close to manufacturers and what was actually used. I would be happy to send my tool info to you. Because downloading and using tool manufacturers' speed/feed programs really suck, and I always use HSM Advisor for radial chip thinning tool paths.  

• Like 1