Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coarse pitch turning

I've got a part that I believe can be turned, but don't know how I would program it to do so.  It could be milled with a 4th axis, but that would be too easy and if it could be turned complete, that would be a huge savings.

The part is attached.  I was looking to use a Iscar full radius groove turn tool to turn the material out.  Low DOC, high feed.  I don't know how I would program it though and any suggestions would be appreciated.

auger.SLDPRT

have you looked into the ThreadC.dll CHook?

i hear the post needs to be tweaked to your specific machine, never used it myself

Even if you ended up finish milling, rough turning would be huge.

I know a guy with a turn-mill.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did take a look at trying to use the threadc.dll Chook.  After I created a chain on the curve to select, it would give me the message that "splines not allowed in chain".

I've seen some videos where they are turning on things like this, so I know it's possible, but need to figure out how to program it.

Yes, it can be turned. We do turning of custom shaped threads all the time. If it's a fanuc controller, you have to use G32. If live tooling is available, use a flat endmill for roughing, or a sturdy flat grooving insert. Be careful not to "eat up" the the tool holder, so cut width first, then depth. Then use a flat grooving insert with a small corner radius to cut the thread shape.

I'm not familiar with ThreadC, but I once requested that Mastercam should feature custom-shaped thread cutting using controlled threading method.