Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone here using FCS vises and clamps for Mold bases?

I'm interested in their vises with adjustable beds, and the fcs clamping components. They look pretty ideal for the mold base machining I am doing on a hmc.

I'm wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with the system, it's repeatability, quality etc.

Long, long time ago mold bases were my specialty.

On our horizontal machines we used hydraulic clamping on our tombstones. Setups were extremely quick.

Basement057.jpg

mits.jpg

Rotary tables for sidelock and waterline work.

Basement055.jpg

Cool pics Rob. Can you tell us anymore about the clamping system? Did you have adjustable pads under the bases to adjust the base square to the spindle? It looks like you have some sort of locators on the sides, I need to come up with something like that as well because some of the mold bases I am machining are pre made, and the pins aren't parallel to the sides.

Did you make the hydraulic clamping system yourself or is it available for purchase from somewhere?

As for the FCS stuff. I'm not heat treating any of the parts I am using the FCS stuff for, so I am not too worried about that.

My desired work flow is clamp the bases into the adjustable vises, adjust square to spindle and parallel to pins, and then machine the fcs counterbores and threaded holes, and any light features that can be done on that op.

post-40824-0-83879800-1467389429_thumb.jpg

Then I will attach the adjustable feet:

post-40824-0-68189200-1467389514_thumb.jpg

Then the clamping modules:

post-40824-0-54489400-1467389537_thumb.jpg

Then I can hang it, adjust if necessary, and do the cavity pockets, locks, waterlines etc.

post-40824-0-64976600-1467389617_thumb.jpg

Here is what "I think" I remember...

Vektek supplied all hydraulic clamping. Left side of the tombsone had bushings for locators/positive stops that were ground. They were not adjustable. The right side of the tombstone had tapped holes for locating rails that had Mitee-Bite clamps in them. There were permanent locators along the bottom of the tombstones with a couple of edge clamps.

I can't remember who built our tombstones. For roughing we would use 2500lbs and for fininshing arounf 1000lbs. Sorry, but that's the best I could do.

These were the bottom clamps.

http://www.vektek.com/pdfs/Catalog/en-us/Hydraulic/SpecialUse_EdgeClamp.pdf

Tombstone top plates.

http://www.vektek.com/pdfs/Catalog/en-us/Hydraulic/Pallet_TombstoneTopPlate.pdf

No adjustments were ever needed. They were sitting on ground locators 1" away from tombstone. The clamps pressed them against the locators. We ran this setup lights out on standard plates from 8x8 up to 15x20 as well as some much larger sizes.

Name of the company was Omni Mold Systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, it wasn't that long ago. :ermm:

You trying to make me feel old? <_<

Still the best mold bases I ever bought. :cheers:

HA!!!

It's been 10 years since I have been with my current company.

Either way we are both 10 years older now ;)

• 6 years later...