Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows Free Upgrade Deadline Approaches

Müřlıń®

Win 10 or Win 7 ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. To upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question...

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

All my apps run fine.. MC2017 seems a little snappier if that makes sense

I have had no trouble at all

The list of apps on my workstation include

MC2017

X9

Vericut 7.4.2

Solidworks 2016 and 2017Beta1

hyperMill 2016 SP1

Catia V5 R25

CimcoEdit V7 and V8

It's my understanding that it's free to upgrade now, but you'll be charged at a later date and you'll be forced to pay the price that they come up with.

I don't think that's the case.

ZDNet has a pretty good summary of the WIn10 licensing scheme,

It's my understanding that it's free to upgrade now, but you'll be charged at a later date and you'll be forced to pay the price that they come up with.

The way I understand it is that this "free" upgrade is only good for the computer it is installed on for the life of that machine.  It is non transferable.

If that pc dies you have to pay $99 for Home and $199 for Pro....same price if you go past the deadline but if you pay you can have it transfer it to new hardware.

i need two votes. i'll be upgrading my one personal windows system because, why not? we will not be upgrading or deploying any new windows 10 systems on the company network any time in the foreseeable future because, if it isn't broken it doesn't need to be fixed.

i need two votes. i'll be upgrading my one personal windows system because, why not? we will not be upgrading or deploying any new windows 10 systems on the company network any time in the foreseeable future because, if it isn't broken it doesn't need to be fixed.

I should clarify ..

I upgraded my home workstation a couple of weeks ago and it's running perfectly

My machine at work is controlled by the IT gods.. and my opinion does not amount to a drop in the ocean

I doubt my work machine will be upgraded any time soon in my lifetime... though it is virtually identical to

my home machine

• Like 1

Interesting...since it is evolving into a "service" it appears the service is going to be per device rather than following around the key so no more transferring to upgraded hardware.

So if you are planning on upgrading your hardware after the deadline you will have to pay for the service anyway.

Been running Win10 on my work and home computers for almost a year now.

Absolutely ZERO issues.  And Mastercam runs flawlessly on it.

edit: forgot I had 1 major issue...

Stupid me somehow setup Cortana search assistant and locked myself out of this computer and had to do a system restore.

In order to do that, it asks for a Microsoft live account, well then it proceeds to overwrite your login and password (of course I forgot the password).

And when I did that, I mispelled my recovery email so I was unable to retrieve my login password.

Note to self: Always have a guest account created, don't have just 1 account. 

I disliked the whole method they have gone about this. Sneaking in the upgrade on Windows 7 users without their permission. The whole cloak and dagger of it has not given me any confidence in Microsoft. Not sure what I am talking about go look for a GWX folder on your Windows 7 Computers. It was stuck in their on a random patch. Only way to know it was doing it was to go to their website and check out the information on the update. I had not update anything for over a year and 2017 was not working correctly. I got everything updated and now works as expected.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

This patch is still not installed on my computer along with several others that tried to install this. Guess I am just getting to old and remember that nothing is free; nothing. They got their hook set in their bait and when the time to pay comes you will be at their mercy plain and simple.

• Like 3

i disabled installing optional updates (by default after operating system install, it's a habit) on my home pc and never got prompted for a windows 10 upgrade. updates for the company network are controlled with wsus and group policies (windows servers / domain controllers)  and microsoft has specific instructions on how to disable windows 10 notifications and updates on windows networks on their support site. not a single user here has been nagged for an upgrade.

Huh... what? That is exactly what our IT department does.  :harhar:

It boggles the mind how much 'stuff' gets pushed around here. Oh hey we upgraded the online training classes! They don't work now, try back in 3 days. New password service! ...But try tomorrow after 1pm as it is down... :help:

Oh yeah, have Windows pro7 here at work, Win10 at home. I don't mind 10, but I don't run any 'real' programs at home so can't speak to how reliable it is/isnt.

I wonder how long Mastercam products will support Win 7 x64. I'm reluctant to upgrade to 10. My boss upgraded my previous computer and I lost the ability to communicate with the cnc machines. Mastercam X6 worked fine. Struggled for 1/2 a day, reverted to win 7 and everything worked immediately.

I wonder how long Mastercam products will support Win 7 x64. I'm reluctant to upgrade to 10. My boss upgraded my previous computer and I lost the ability to communicate with the cnc machines. Mastercam X6 worked fine. Struggled for 1/2 a day, reverted to win 7 and everything worked immediately.

I've read that Microsoft plans to end support for Win7 in 2020

I'd guess CNC Software will drop support when MS does

Well by reading some of the problems it looks like a crap shoot...luck of the draw on what hardware you have and what drivers will get installed...

Since My current hardware should last another 3 years without getting too far behind the speed,

I an considering  just keeping things just like they are and when the time comes...upgrade hardware with a fresh copy of Win 10 and installing whatever version of Mastercam

I am using on a fresh machine and OS.  By then the affordable hardware should be able to handle the burden and once again Mastercam functions will be fast and you will be able to build a Hotrod workstation

for Mastercam on the cheap.

I am also guessing in 3 1/2 more years,  all the bugs would have been worked out by then and all the drivers for everything would be patched up and work good with Win 10.

Windows 10 sandboxed in a virtual machine with all telemetry turned off still sends data to over 100 different addresses.  The EULA states that Microsoft can read any data that ever touches your computer.  If you have a nondisclosure agreement, proprietary data, classified data, or anything like that you cannot in good faith run Windows 10.

Also, as they go to the subscription model, they will charge you a regular fee to continue using your computer.  Miss a payment and you're shut down.  As said before, nothing is free.

• Like 1

I think Microsoft engineers say "if it's not broken, it needs more features." :harhar:

I disliked the whole method they have gone about this. Sneaking in the upgrade on Windows 7 users without their permission. The whole cloak and dagger of it has not given me any confidence in Microsoft. Not sure what I am talking about go look for a GWX folder on your Windows 7 Computers. It was stuck in their on a random patch. Only way to know it was doing it was to go to their website and check out the information on the update. I had not update anything for over a year and 2017 was not working correctly. I got everything updated and now works as expected.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

This patch is still not installed on my computer along with several others that tried to install this. Guess I am just getting to old and remember that nothing is free; nothing. They got their hook set in their bait and when the time to pay comes you will be at their mercy plain and simple.

You can use this utility to keep MS from forcing the GWX stuff on your PC

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html