Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

updating old posts to 2017

I am getting some errors when updating some of our older posts (and some of the newer ones also)

one that I pretty sure is benign is a message I am getting about the bug3$ switch. So pretty easy to delete that one.

Now getting to some of our posts that have been updated through the years & never have received much love (to be fair, they worked fine & didn't need any love) I am running into things that might need a closer look.

This error is from a F.A.G.O.R 8025 post

plin1$      # First linear movement after SOF, whatno must be set                       
#CNC<<FAIL>>plin1$      # First linear movement after SOF, whatno must be set
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(1217)>> The variable, postblock, or other keyword is no longer supported

plin2$      # Second linear movement after SOF, whatno must be set                      
#CNC<<FAIL>>plin2$      # Second linear movement after SOF, whatno must be set
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(1221)>> The variable, postblock, or other keyword is no longer supported

plin$       # Linear line movement - at feedrate                    
           if startflg = one, pstartpos
           if rotaxis$ <> zero, protaxis
             else, plinm,e$

pz$         # Linear movement in Z axis only - at feedrate          
           pzcalc
           n$, sgcode, pzout, pfr,e$

pcir1$      # First circular movement after SOF, whatno must be set                     
#CNC<<FAIL>>pcir1$      # First circular movement after SOF, whatno must be set
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(1234)>> The variable, postblock, or other keyword is no longer supported

pcir2$      # Second circular movement after SOF, whatno must be set                    
#CNC<<FAIL>>pcir2$      # Second circular movement after SOF, whatno must be set
#CNC<<MSG-ERROR(1238)>> The variable, postblock, or other keyword is no longer supported

So the plin1$ & plin2$ are out to pasture along with pcir1$ and pcir2$

Now I haven't done any testing to see if these errors will affect the output, however they seem to have the potential to cause more of a problem than the bug3$ switch.

An yes, these posts are old. Like V8 old. However the machines they run are pretty basic and don't need much. No toolchangers, coolant, ect. Any updates up until 2017 have been flawless. To this day I haven't had to do much with the posts simply because I didn't need to.

So are these errors going to be a show stopper? Or should I be good to go?

In all seriousness, depending on the vintage of these old posts, it may be time to start fresh....

I found that as X progressed, anything previous to V8 vintage could be very dicey.....

HTH, YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

I have found it works if you migrate them into X before kicking them to X4 or X5. As near as I can tell I had not problem migrating all my posts and other settings file to 2017. I also remember a V9 post did not work in X3 after migration so the work aroung was to copy most of the post and paste  into a X level fanuc multi axis post. That worked very well on a 5 axis post. Remember pre X post were much bigger because with X, the files got smaller because component removed became the machine definition and the control definition in X versions