Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Code Expert

BSBlakeslee

I have just recently downloaded mastercam 2017.  When I post the code is generated in the mastercam code expert program.  The issue I have is that I can save the file and close it; but when I try to reopen the .nc file it defaults to Microsoft wordpad. 

How do I fix this so it defaults to mastercam code expert?

I have tried to right click; open with; choose default program but the code expert does not show up.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BSBlakeslee

Yes this is a Windows issue..

To change to the Code Expert editor.....set up the startup in Configuration to Mastercam editor.

Then find an NC file...looks like all yours are going to have a word pad Icon.

Right click and choose open with....then browse to 2017/extensions/code expert icon and click that...be sure the check mark is checked to always use this program and now all the NC files with word pad icons will change to Code Expert Icons and will now be associated to Code Expert.

another thing....don't forget to click little arrow to make other programs show up.

But I am pretty sure, Code maker and Cimco nave to be browsed to manually to get them to come to

top where you can set them as default...

post-5941-0-63962800-1470074864_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-62620800-1470075099_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Müřlıń - I have done just what you explained; does not to up in the menu or in the drop down menu.  However the code expert from x8 does show up; just not latest version for the 2017.

I use the code expert because that's what my computer was defaulted to when I was hired on.  I don't do anything with it really; verify code is not going to crash me and that's about it.  

What are the benefits of cimco vs editor?

Are you sure you are using code expert and not cimco?

The Cimco for X9 still opens up as mastercam X8...they never changed the EXE to say X9....

If you browse to the 2017/extensions folder and click on the code expert I guarantee you are getting the one 2017 installed...

try setting it to Cimco first so all the icons change to Cimco...then set it to code Expert....then you should have 2 choices for default at the top.

Those are both stand alone exe files and you do not need to be in Mastercam to make Windows do the Icon association.

Müřlıń - I have done just what you explained; does not to up in the menu or in the drop down menu.  However the code expert from x8 does show up; just not latest version for the 2017.

I use the code expert because that's what my computer was defaulted to when I was hired on.  I don't do anything with it really; verify code is not going to crash me and that's about it.  

What are the benefits of cimco vs editor?

The first benefit is that it has its own File Compare. It doesn't rely on an external comparison app. It is enough for me (I rely on File Compare a lot though :) )

yes it is the code expert.  x8 was code expert version 17.0.0.0; 2017 code expert is version 19.07874.0.  Im sure for what I use it for the differences are minimal; I just thought I am running mastercam 2017 I would like to be able to run the editor that came with it.  the code expert directory is as follows C:\Program Files\mcam2017\Extensions\CodeExpert.exe.  The cimco directory is as follows C:\Program Files\mcam2017\common\Editors\CIMCOEdit7\CIMCOEdit.exe.  Both have the same .exe extension but are in different folders; and the cimco works like it should.  After trying a few things that were suggested on this forum yesterday and still could not get the latest version of code expert working; I switched everything to the cimco program.  Its silly to me that the code expert does not work as it should and I am sure cimco will work just fine; its just not what I am used to viewing on my monitor. 

Thanks for everyones input

If you use Mill/Turn, you're kind of stuck with Code Expert.

Code expert is exceptional in MT, Outside of Mill Turns I use Cimco Editor but the I love how easy Code Expert handles wait codes for MT. Drag and dropping wait codes between toolpaths is pretty slick.

• Like 1